Chapter fifteen

"You're here! Finally. I've been here for the past month trying to get hold of you. Only reason I knew you were alive is because of Imogen. You know she found herself another job?"

Kane ignored Layton's barrage of information and pushed past him into his office. He wasn't in the mood for talking. A week and a half ago, he'd found out his sister was still alive and even though he hadn't seen her since, he had felt some sort of peace with the situation. 

But that had been short lived. Two days ago, Michael Hampton had phoned him at home with a stern warning to finish the design of the house or he'd find someone else to do it. And that was the last thing he wanted. But even now, sitting at his desk, staring down at the model he'd created, he had no idea where to start. 

Without Imogen here, he'd become a complete mess. Everything he did seemed to fail and concentrating had become a thing of the past. Maybe it's time to let this project go, he thought to himself. 

There was nowhere else he could possibly take this. The Hamptons had exhausted his skills and if someone else could do a better job, then why not? 

Gaynorr, the new assistant popped her head round the door and studied him wearily before clearing her throat. "There's an Emily Maynard here. She's been referred by a friend. Have you got time for her?" When Kane didn't reply, she sighed. "I can make an appointment for her if that's better?"

"No." Kane groaned. "No. Let her in. Maybe I need to take my mind of this pile of . . . Just let her in."

With a nod, Gaynor disappeared, returned moments later with Emily and then left again. 

"Take a seat." He spoke, not releasing his gaze from the model. "I'll be with you in a sec." He heard her rest herself onto the chair opposite him and he sighed. "Nothing more I can do with that." he confirmed. "Miss Maynard, how can I help-" 

His eyes transfixed on hers and his breath caught in his throat. She was sitting in front of him. His sister, missing for nineteen years, presumed dead, was sitting in his office, watching him. "Hannah." 

Her eyes furrowed and her lips parted. She leant forward as if studying him for a moment before recognition flashed in her eyes and she whispered a word he never thought he'd hear from her lips again, "Kane."

**

She jumped up from her seat shaking her head. "No. I don't know who the hell you are, but you're not brainwashing me. I came in here to speak to you about an idea I've had and you speak this name that I've never heard in my life. I'm not having it." 

"Hannah, please. Stop."

"No, you stop. Stop calling me that! I'm not Hannah."

"Maybe not anymore but you once were. You remember me, don't you?"

"No!" She stumbled, her brows furrowing in confusion. "Maybe. I don't know! You look familiar but I've never seen you before."

"And there's a reason for that! You remember me because we're twins. Your name's Hannah, Your birthday's 28th August 1985. Believe me."

She rubbed her hand across her forehead and squeezed her eye shut. "I don't know you. I really don't."

"L-look!" he stumbled as he opened his desk drawer and pulled out a photo. "Look! You're on here. That's you. And me. And our brother and sister. LOOK!"

She took the photo from his hand and her mouth dropped open. A tear fell down her cheek and she held the photo close. "Mark." She whispered. "Ella."

Kane heard the affection in her voice and couldn't help but smile. "See." He told her. "You remember." 

She slumped down on the chair and looked up to him. "We were nine." He answered her unspoken question. "We were playing in the woods outside the house. It was getting dark and we shouldn't have even been there, but you weren't giving in. You wanted to play for 'just five more minutes'. You giggled and ran off further into the woods and must have ended up by the road 'cause I couldn't find you. We searched; we really did, and the whole town joined in. But after two years, there was nothing. You were pronounced dead."

"My parents," she mumbled. 

He bowed his head. "They're not your real parents. I don't know what happened, but you were kidnapped. Whether you were sold or-"

"Sold?" she growled. "You think I was sold? I had a great childhood, thank you very much. I had brilliant parents who doted on me. Whether they were my biological parents or not, you have no right to say that I was sold!"

Kane didn't reply and soon, silence lapsed between the two for what seemed like an age before she spoke up. Her eyes were transfixed on the photo. "I dreamt about you. Every night. You, Ella, Mark. Even mum and dad. Wait," she mumbled to herself. "Where's B?"

"B?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "I could never figure out his name, but I dreamt about him, too. He was in and out, though; like he didn't live with us, but was there regularly."

Kane chuckled and picked up the phone. "Layton, get your backside in here. There's someone I want you to meet."

"Wait, no! I don't think I can-"

He placed an affectionate hand on her shoulder. "Trust me."

Silence lapsed once again as they waited. Kane couldn't keep his eyes away from the girl he'd thought was dead all these years, yet she wouldn't so much as glance his way. 

That all changed, however, when Layton walked through the door. She glanced between the two as if itching to jump around in glee. Then without warning, she did just that. She jumped up and slung her arms around his neck, screeching in delight. 

Kane's jaw dropped and Layton shook his head. "Damn, Kidman. Which nutjob have you attracted this time?"