Chapter 60 - Johanna

(Johanna's POV)

As I sit through the night in the hospital waiting room, trying my best to comfort an inconsolable Cato, one thought is on repeat. Why Clove?

Why did it have to be her? The one girl who I feel like I can talk to. The one girl I feel the need to protect. The one girl who cares about me for me, not my amazingness at comedic relief.

The one girl whose mom didn't even show up to see if she was ok.

If I ever see that woman, I swear I'll throw an ax in her face.

The night seems to last forever. When morning finally arrives, there's no news. Eventually, Cato's parents insist he goes home. The doctor said he'd be fine, which is one less person I have to worry about...

Eventually, Dad comes to pick me up and take me home. I don't know how long I was at the hospital, but when I get home, I fall into my bed and sleep, forgetting for a while everything that happened.

The week before Christmas seems to last forever. Whoever thought of the saying "No news is good news" must be seriously deluded. "No news" means that she's not getting better. It means Clove isn't waking up, and the longer she remains in a coma, the less chance there is of her waking at all.

As everyone around us starts putting up Christmas lights and singing carols, Cato, Madge, Peeta, Katniss, and I are stuck in a gloomy fog of depression. I spend all my free time at the hospital, occasionally bumping into Katniss or Madge or Peeta. Cato is sometimes there, sometimes not. His parents won't let him come often.

Slowly, I fall into a dismal routine. Get up. Get dressed. Drive to the hospital. Watch for any signs of consciousness. See that it's almost midnight. Drive home. Repeat.

I can't function outside of that, and my dad luckily doesn't push me. Mom is too busy getting ready to move to pay me much attention. I don't think I've spoken, except to Cato, since it happened.

It's currently the afternoon Christmas Eve. I'm sitting on one side of Clove's bed, and Cato is on the other, holding her cold hand. The only sign of life coming from her is the rise and fall of her chest as she breathes. She could almost be asleep.

Almost.

If people stayed asleep for weeks.

~~~~

Sorry for the short chapter. This book is wrapping up. The next one will be published soon, though, so don't worry!

Vote please! And comment!

~Ellie