Chapter Seventeen

"Stiles, what's wrong? What happened?" With her phone pressed to her ear, she acknowledged the concerned glances coming from Matthew and Derek.

"My dad-He was shot. I'm on the way to the hospital right now. But Scott and Lydia, they're on their way to Derek's loft. They're bringing Parrish. I'm not sure if you've met him before, but he's a deputy. Derek knows him, but he just came into the station covered in soot. This guy was just burned alive, but somehow he's not dead."

"He's something supernatural," Alex speculated.

"Yeah, he's on the deadpool too. Maybe Derek will know what he is," Stiles breathed in a long, scattered debriefing.

Taking in all of details, she managed to respond, "Stiles, I hope your dad's okay." The sound of sirens in the background echoed loudly through the speaker. "And both Derek and I are here."

"Thanks Alex," Stiles said, "The EMTs are saying the bullet didn't hit any major organ or bone. It's just deep in his shoulder and will need surgery to get out."

She sensed relief in his voice that his father wasn't in imminent danger, but she could also tell he was still nervous about his father's constant well-being. Especially in a town filled with nightmarish creatures and killers.

"He'll recover," she reassured him.

"Thanks, and I hope so," the stressed teen sighed. The atmosphere around him shifted as the ambulance parked in the emergency lot, and his father was rushing inside. Their conversation paused as Stiles answered the rushed common questions, but he was then left in the waiting room while his father was further assessed.

With the clock ticking at a snail's pace as he waited for the doctor to return, he told Alex, "The plan didn't work, but Kate did show up."

"What happened," she asked, taking steps away from Derek and her father. She gave them a motion saying she would only take a moment. She felt slightly amused about leaving the two in an awkward silence.

"Well, the plan was to have Kira stop Scott's heart with her Kitsune electricity powers, making it look like Scott was dead. Mr. Argent and I told the Benefactor that we couldn't get visual confirmation."

"Thinking that he would come to see for himself," she inferred.

"Yeah, exactly," he confirmed, "But he didn't show."

"But Kate did," she wondered. From her stance across the loft by the darkened spiral staircase, she watched Derek and Matthew share casual conversation after Derek found another t-shirt. Both knew but were acting completely oblivious to what went on last night in the loft. A small smile poked through on her face at the thought.

"Yeah," Stiles answered. She heard him rustling in the uncomfortable waiting room chairs. "She showed up with the Berserkers. She wanted Scott's body which was weird and majorly concerning, but she left after Argent told her he wasn't actually dead. She also mentioned you, Alex."

"What did she say," her interested yet concerned voice earned curious looks from Matthew and Derek.

Stiles paused on the other line before he answered hesitantly, "She's after you. She said she was coming for you, Alex. You need to stay away from her."

"Trust me, I'll be careful. I still have questions for her that aren't going unanswered."

"Well, she's somewhere in Beacon Hills with those insane bone monster things," Stiles stated, "But hey, the doctor just came back so I'll see you later."

"Bye Stiles, and good luck," she wished before the line ended.

With her phone placed back in the elastic band of her athletic shorts, she returned to Derek's side. "That was Stiles. He said Lydia and Scott were on their way with Parrish. He's something supernatural, but they're not sure what," she filled him in. "They hope you might know."