Chapter Sixty-Five: Family Means Dysfunctional Yet Enjoyable

Chapter Sixty-Five: Family Means Dysfunctional, Yet Enjoyable.

"My pregnancy with you was the hardest. Probably because you were my first, and I didn't have your father with me at the time." Anna's head was now in my lap, as I softly stroked her chestnut curls. She gave me a cheeky grin.

"Sorry?" She questioned, and I laughed at her. I looked down at my daughter, and found some nostalgia in how big she was now. I still remember the soft quietness of the hospital room, after I had finished swearing my head off, considering I pushed a small human being out of my nether regions. I had seen her squawking her lungs out when she first entered the world, and I already fell in love with her on a glance, and for the short moment she was in my arms, before they took her away to clean her up. She was in my arms for barely a second, and I watched the doctors, wishing they'd hurry up, before one turned with the bundle of blankets and came towards me. I remember Mom whispering under her breath, making the only sound in the room, apart from the occasional cough or coo from the blankets. And then she was in my arms. Staring at her tiny face, I couldn't believe she was a real thing. That I had created something so beautiful. Then her big brown eyes open, and I cried as I held her to my chest, knowing she was now the most precious thing in the world. Now, all I had with this burly teenager, and having her head in my lap like this was the closet I got to curling her in my arms.

Sometimes I missed that loud little girl, who always found comfort being curled in my lap. As my fingers twisted in her hair, looking at her lying on me, I realised there was nothing to miss. She was still that same girl, just a lot bigger and wiser.

"So you see, even some people who seem madly in love have ups and downs. Everything in life is not perfect. I'm sure you can tell, because me and your father still have frequent screaming matches. There will be guys like Jacob, who will break your heart into a million pieces, like Lane did, and then you'll have the few that you think broke your heart, but really they're the ones the mend it. You need to person that is willing to stay and clean up the damage to make its clean and beautiful again. You're young, and there's nothing wrong with hoping to find love right now, but you have so much more life left to live, don't wasn't it on some asshole that doesn't appreciate you." Anna gave me a soft smile, as she looked up at me. She reached for my other hand, wrapping it in hers.

"Thanks Mom. Y'know, I still think you and dad are perfect." I laughed at her, giving her a small kiss on her forehead. I heard the door downstairs slam, and the pounding of feet running through the house. In a few moments, two boys, both with shaggy blonde hair and startling greens eyes stood in the doorway. One had his hands behind his back, and had a toothy smile, with gaps from lost teeth. I smiled at them. Jamison pointed at Anna.

"We heard Annie wasn't feeling very well." He stated, before looking at his brother Michael. Michael, continuing his huge grin, pulled out a single chocolate rose from behind his back.

"So daddy took us to buy you something on the way home from Gran's." Anna sat up from my lap, smiling adoringly at her two little brothers. She laughed, opening her arms wide.

"Come here, my little monkeys." Both of the boys giggled at their sister, before sprinting full pelt into the room, jumping on their sister, while she shrieked, falling backwards onto the bed. She had her arms around both of the two kids, pulling them tight against her and laughing loudly. I smiled at my children, glad to hear Anna's laugh. Jamison let go, and crawled over to me. He wrapped his arms around my neck and pulled me close.

"Mommy!" He yelled, as I laughed myself, pulling him into my lap. I gave him a kiss on his head. Before I pulled back, to look at the green eyes that mirrored mine.