Chapter 2

I got dressed and went to work. It's the usual cycle. After meeting clients I went back home and threw my cash on the counter. I started counting all of it. $600. I realized I have enough to pay my rent and buy groceries. I put my money back in my wallet and climbed into bed. As soon as I fell asleep I heard a crash in my living room. I froze in fear and snuck out of my room. The person caught a glimpse of me and headed towards me. I tried to slam my door, but he stopped it with his hand. He grabbed me and threw me on the bed.

"If you come after me I'll kill you." He spoke before punching me in the face.

I grabbed my cheek and gritted my teeth. After I heard him leave I ran into the living room. I checked my wallet and it was empty. I slid down the wall and burst out crying. I can't catch a break. I checked the my cell phone. 10:00. I realized I have enough time to make more money. I grabbed my purse and ran outside. I stood on the corner and waited. A beat up old Lincoln pulled up in front of me and I walked up to the guy.

"How much, sugar?" The black guy asked.

I was about to answer until I heard a familiar voice. I froze where I stood unaware of what to do.

"Liberty?" Brendon walked up beside me.

"Hi Brendon." I forced a smile.

"I went to Thifties, but they said you don't work there. Why did you lie?" He frowned.

"My girl Lib don't work at no store. She's a hooker." The black guy laughed.

I didn't know what to do, so I ran. I ran back to my apartment. Before I could get the key in, I felt someone grab my wrist. Brendon spun me around to face him.

"Is this true, Liberty?" He frowned.

"Not everyone has talent or a degree, Brendon." I spat.

I tried to shut my apartment door, but Brendon blocked it. I stood there waiting for him to speak.

"Can I come in so we can talk?" He pleaded.

I didn't want to let him see my apartment, but he walked through my door anyway. He looked around for a moment before glancing at me.

"Liberty, why?" He sighed.

"I can't afford anything else." I cried.

He walked over to me and wrapped his arms around me. I laid my head on his chest and sobbed until my stomach growling interrupted us.

"Let me get you something." He said, walking to my fridge.

"Brendon, wait."

He was already opening the fridge to find it completely empty. He looked at me with wide eyes.

"How long has it been since you've eaten?" He asked me.

"A couple of days or a week." I shrugged.

"What? You can't live like this. I can't let you." He frowned.

"Don't Brendon. Please don't pity me. I can handle it." I said, a tear slipping out of my eye.

"No, Liberty. I can't let this happen. You're a sweet person. You're coming to stay with me and Sarah." He walked over to me.

"I can't. Brendon, I'm a junkie." I sighed.

"What?" He asked bewildered.

"I'm an addict. I don't think you'd want to live with me."

"I'll help you. We can do this. Please let me help you." He pleaded.

"You're girlfriend won't be happy about that. Do you think she'll appreciate a stranger moving in?" I frowned.

"She'll understand. I promise. I'm not leaving here until you come with me." He looked around the apartment again.

"Fine. Let's go." I shrugged.

"Don't you need clothes?" He asked.

"I don't have any." I said shamefully.

"Come on."

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and lead me to his car. The only thing I grabbed were my cigarettes. I climbed into the passenger side and leaned back on the seat. I started drifting off and before I knew it we were at his house. I stared in awe at the nice big two story in front of us. I climbed out of the car and followed Brendon to the front door. He unlocked it and led me inside. I looked down at the polished wood floors and smiled at the smell of spaghetti cooking. My stomach grumbled and I blushed.

"Is that you, babe?" I heard a female voice.

"Yeah. I need to talk to you. Come here." He yelled back.

I heard the clicking of heels against the wood floor, I nervously picked at my nails. A woman appeared around the door frame and she looked at me. She was breath taking. Her black hair was sleek and straight. Her big blue eyes were wide in shock. She looked like an angel with her porcelain skin. I instantly felt small and ugly.

"Who's this?" She asked Brendon.

"Can we talk?" He greeted her with a kiss.

I felt a spark of jealously shoot through me. Brendon is gorgeous. Of course he's got a equally gorgeous girlfriend. It's not like I have a chance anyway. They appeared back in front of me and Brendon smiled.

"Would you like to use some of Sarah's clothes and take a shower?" He asked me.

"If that's okay." I said shyly.

He disappeared again and left me alone. Sarah was finishing up the food. Brendon came back with some sweat pants and a t-shirt. He lead me to the bathroom in the hallway.

"Come to the kitchen when you're done." He smiled before walking off.

I shut the door and turned the water on. I slipped my clothes off and climbed in. The water felt amazing. I haven't has a shower in months. Gross, I know. I scrubbed my body and hair really good before getting out. I slipped on the clothes and tied my hair up in a bun. I brushed my teeth with the extra toothbrush Brendon gave me. When I was done I headed into the kitchen. The plates were just put out when I arrived.

"Sit." Brendon offered, smiling.

I sat down with them and we began eating. It was silent and awkward. I kept catching Sarah glance at me with disgust. I sighed and finished eating. I got up to put my plate away.

"I'll show you the guest room." Brendon said, leading me down the hallway.

He opened the door and I was faced with a huge room. The bed was made and the floor was so clean. I walked in and sat down on the bed.

"If you need any extra blankets or pillows, they're in the closet." Brendon waved goodnight before shutting the door.

I climbed into bed and snuggled up under the warm blankets. I haven't slept in a clean bed in 7 years. It feels really nice. I got warm and drifted off to sleep instantly. I dreamed of Brendon all night.

I'll update again today. I hope you enjoyed it. Thank you. Don't forget to vote and comment. 😘😁