The Game

The Game

"What movie do you wanna rent?" Asked Tatum as she walked through an aisle of the video store.

"Any is good, what do you think?" Replied Jillian.

"You know, I was thinking Halloween. The creepy bastard who stalks the baby sitters and then one by one stab stab stab." Tatum twirled her hair between her fingers and bit her lip.

"I don't know, isn't that a bit scary?"

"Oh, come on Jillybean, it'll be fun. We'll buy popcorn and candy and turn the lights out. We can scare ourselves silly."

Jillian looked at Tatum nervously and picked up the rental looking at the cover.

"Okay, Halloween it is." She said holding it in her hand. They walked down past the thriller section and started for the register, pulling popcorn from the shelf and choosing a flavour.

"Butter or salt?" Jillian asked

"Wanna talk about what's really bothering you? Tatum said clutching at her jacket.

"There's nothing to talk about." Jillian said placing the packet and video on the counter.

"Yes, there is. Come on, Brian dumped you. It's okay to talk about it you know. I mean, the guys a jerk. You knew he was trouble from the moment he shook your hand." Tatum looked at her best friend concerned as she twirled her red hair again.

"Cash or credit?" The cashier asked. Jillian reached in her pocket and put a ten dollar bill on the counter.

"Tatum, some things should just be left alone."

"Jillybean."

"Here's your receipt, movie is due Wednesday." Said the cashier smiling. Jillian took the bag and held it under her arm. The two girls walked out the door and through the car park.

"Well, I suppose it's for the better. Because I heard somebody's got a crush on you." Tatum said as she teased her best friend with her pointer finger in front of her wiggling it. Jillian looked at her puzzled.

"Who?" She asked

"Not telling." Tatum replied as she turned back around to the footpath and walked down the street. Jillian followed walking fast.

"Come on Tatum, who is the guy?"

"I can't, I'm sworn to secrecy." She replied winking and pouting her red covered lips. Jillian looked at her with a devilish look and put her mouth close to her friends ear.

"Don't make me hurt you." She said as she pinched her friend in the arm.

"Ow. Okay, okay," Tatum gave in. "It's Seth Omen." She finished.

"No way. He doesn't even know I exist." Jillian argued.

"Nuh-uh. I heard that he's totally into you and wants to ask you out. But I wouldn't right now." Tatum said as she joined arms with Jillian.

"What do you mean?" Jillian asked.

Tatum looked at her friend and then back toward the street.

"Well you don't want anyone thinking you're a whore or anything. Do you?"

"I guess not." Jillian said scratching her head.

They walked down the cracked path of the street, arm in arm. The sun was just setting on Harding Avenue. The temperature was normal for a summer afternoon. Not too harsh. Birds fluttered away into their trees, Old Man Harris was hosing his garden. But everybody knows that he was a pervert just looking to catch some candy. Tatum and Jillian's shoes clunked on the hard cement path. They giggled as they talked about boys and how they would love to just get away from suburbia for a while. They crossed the street still giggling. Down the street pumping bass came a green sedan, the windows were down and music was loud. It screeched as it almost hit the two teenage girls. It stopped and so did Tatum as she turned around to it, brushing her hair out of her face.

"Hey, watch it asshole!" She shouted.

A head peered out of the drivers window.

"Well, fuck me." Said the driver.

"Brian?" Tatum said as she looked in disgust.

"Still hanging around this bitch I see Jilly." He said as the girls started walking again. Jillian ignored Brian and took hold of Tatum's arm once again.

"She doesn't wanna talk to you." Tatum said pulling a sarcastic smile.

"I'm sorry Jilly, just get in the car and we can talk about it." Brian said slowly driving in synch with the girls.

"Just leave us alone." Tatum demanded as they approached a turning in the street.

Brian sighed and looked at Jillian who was looking straight ahead.

"Come on Jilly, I made a mistake. Come on, baby. I got new interior design seats, new stereo. I got three words for you baby: Great-Car-Sex." He said pulling out three fingers. Tatum looked at him smiling.

"Hey, Brian. I got three words for you: Sports Utility Vehicle." She said.

"Huh?" Brian said puzzled. His car had crash into a parked car on the street, his air bag flew out and the red SUV's alarm was set off. Brian dramatically and angrily hit into the cars steering wheel.

"Oh, shit." He said.

The girls turned the corner and continued up the street.

"What an asshole. Don't worry about him Jillybean. All men are scum." Tatum said as she walked up her lawn and started for the front door, pulling a key out of her pocket. She forced it into the key whole and rattled the stubborn lock until it clicked and swung open, she stumbled as the door went forward.

"Gets me every time, come on." She said as she let Jillian walk in first. The house was big and quite dark, the yellow light of the sun setting hardly peaked through the drapes. The hallway carpet was tattered, but it could be passed off as a tasseled rug. Tatum walked the hallway behind Jillian into the kitchen and pulling back the veil curtain. Jillian stood at the counter with her head down. Tatum looked over at her saddened by her best friends expressions. She walked over to her and put her hand on her shoulder.

"Hey, forget about him. He's a mega total jerk." Tatum said.

"That's not why I'm sad." Jillian exclaimed.

"Then what is it?"

Jillian looked at Tatum and smiled weakly.

"I'm just... Tired, real tired." She said.

Tatum nodded slowly forcing her top lip on her bottom. She turned around and walked toward the freezer and pulled two TV dinners out and stuck them into the microwave, beeping the numbers to two minutes. Jillian looked over out the window and wiped her eyes, sniffling back and letting out a sigh.

"I can't believe I actually let him touch me." She said sitting on the counter.

"You mean you actually..." Tatum asked looking back at her friend. Jillian nodded with a smile.

"Why did you never tell me?"

"I didn't think it would count."

"What are you talking about? What, was his... You know too small?" Tatum asked jokingly. Jillian said nothing. She just smiled widely. Tatum looked at her with her mouth opened.

"No way... Serious?" She asked.

Jillian put her pinky finger out and wriggled it. Tatum laughed. She thought it was a riot. She couldn't believe it. Something she could use against perfect Brian.

"This is just too good. Brian. Small in the shorts. Pun intended."

Jillian laughed at her friends humour.