Shamini: F-ed Up

"Hi, this is Shamini Dandekar of Bullet News reporting in front of the Parliament house. There have been no positive discussions on the Bill so far. The Opposition as usual have been creating unfavorable conditions for discussion. MPs have descended to the well in order to protest the Bill. Ruckus and disorder ensued as the Speaker was unable to bring the situation under control...."

Even before I could complete the statement, I could feel a motorbike slowing down behind me and a voice yelling. The man blasted forth atrocities and  threw lewd words in my directions. "You fancy slut!!" he screamed . Infuriated, I turned to face him as he slowly drove away and threw my slipper to his back.  Forgetting that Joseph was recording all of this on camera, I swore at the rowdy motorist. 

The deed was done. I was on live television. Within minutes, my boss fired me. 

Refusing to comment on my actions, I rushed to my apartment and sank against the cushions of my sofa. I bet I would not be spared by rival media houses. In minutes, I would be the hot topic of debates by feminists, reporters and Media moguls. This was too much trash to take. 

I wanted to brace myself. The TV remote was the first thing that lay in my path. 

"Good Evening and this is your host Deb Bhattacharya on Fact News. Welcome to today's evening debate 'We Got It Right'.  The topic for today's discussion is the firing of female journalist Shamini Dandekar. We have on our panel today Feminist lawyer Deepti Chhabra, Criminal lawyer Ram Lakshman, Writer and novelist Manu Dhondy and social activist Vasantha Narain to defend Ms Dandekar. Playing devil's advocate are political spokesperson Wudhram Wudhram and Men's Rights Activist  Manoj Pant. "

Six faces appeared on screen, grins et all. They were ready to dissect me and judge my character.  Deb began "Mr Pant, today Ms Dandekar was catcalled while reporting in front of the Parliament House. Was this a violation of dignity or not?" Pant frowned in disapproval "Deb, it was a violation of dignity for our culture. That whore.."

"Mind your language!" yelled Deb

"What do you mean??" yelled Pant in reply

"Mr Pant, how dare you call her a whore?" questioned  a defiant Deepti Chhabra

Manu Dhondy joined in crucifying Pant "Mr Pant, you are being out-rightly misogynistic!"

Pant was undeterred. "Listen to me , Mr Pant" screamed an impatient Deb. From Pant's end the speaker mumbled "Who wears western clothing..slut, whore." Ram Lakshman took off as Pant spoke "What do you mean by slut Mr Pant? So any woman who wears Western clothing  becomes a..."

"LISTEN TO ME, MR PANT AND MR LAKSHMAN" Deb yelled. The men continued speaking.

"LISTEN TO ME. I SAAAAAAAID LISTEN TO ME" This time Deb's face turned red with anger. 

Wudhram Wudhram began speaking out of turn "This is a violation of Indian culture. Why was she wearing western clothes? Why was she speaking in English?"

Even before Deb could control the situation, Vasantha Narain began speaking "Mr Wudhram, stop this nonsense, STOP THIS NONSENSE AT ONCE."

Wudhram continued "According to Manusmriti women must be instructed by men..." "STOP THIS RIGHT NOW..HOW CAN YOU CITE AN OBSOLETE TEXT" screamed Vasantha.

"MR WUDHRAM, MR WUDHRAM" a desperate Deb chipped in "MR WUDHRAM" his pitching increased "Mr Wudhram, what does Manusmriti have to do with the firing of....MR WUDHRAAAAAAAAAAM!!"

All this was making me laugh. I knew Deb would be on my side. His neutral stance was all too willing to reveal his support. 

I changed the channel to Bullet News.  There he was, my boss Mr Shanthakumar, nodding his head in disappointment.

"She should have been careful. it was all her fault. She has tarnished the reputation of Bullet News."

My phone rang thrice. I ignored it. I changed the channel a second time. It was Rhea Mendez, the Lois Lane of Iron Touch Media. With her face set deadpan she spoke in a low, emotionless voice "We are in for a Dandy Sham today. Bullet News' Shamini Dandekar was caught swearing on camera during the News Hour. She was subsequently fired. Rumor has it, she was reprimanding her ex-boyfriend for sabotaging her career.  We have with us on line, Mr Rajiv Thakore, Ms Dandekar's ex-boyfriend." A terrible picture of my ex popped up on screen. I should have known that he would sell his soul to the devil for a little bit of money. "Yes Rhea" came his distorted voice over the telephone line"Feminism has ruined Shamini. You are right in calling her a dandy sham. She was an absolute fake who had no life of her own."

That dirty mongrel had the bone to call me a fake!! 

"Shamini was all I had until Feminism came her way. She left me for her career when I told her that she should not work."

I shut off the television noise. I imagined hungry media-persons climbing up the staircase to my apartment to get a piece of me. "Shamini, do you regret your actions?"

I wanted to give it all a break. 

Warily, I stretched out on the sofa, laid  my head against the cushion and shut my eyes. Here I was, an ordinary woman who had lost her job and become a subject of national debate.  What was I to do?

Wait. breathe and move on. Lie low for a few days. Rajiv will have his share of blasting from me soon enough. 

What if I had lost my job? And my dream job at that? I might as well get another. People would support me. If all is lost I am capable of supporting myself. 

Just then a text message reached me. I opened it

"Shami, no matter what happens, we'll always be there for you. Proud of you. Mom and Dad."

They decided to support me. At last!

I turned on the television with renewed hope. On Bullet News TV, the reporters were queuing up to meet my parents. Flustered but determined, my father look straight at the camera and mouthed "I stand by my daughter. If you ,guardians of culture, are so concerned about her modesty and chastity, why weren't you there to help her when she was heckled? How dare you judge her because she stood up for herself? I want all this to stop. Leave us alone." He wiped tears and disappeared inside the house.