Chapter Two {A Little Bit Of Truth

Wᴏʀᴅ Cᴏᴜɴᴛ: 1 865

Tʜᴇ ᴄᴏʟᴅ ɴɪɢʜᴛ breeze bit at my nose as I ran side by side with the impossible boy. God knows how long my legs were moving – minutes? Hours? Time passed in a blur, like the buildings I crossed. I was acutely aware when we passed the border between the dark, lonely, creepy part of town to the brighter, more crowded section. Part of me started to feel safe, but the forefront of my mind knew I would probably not be safe again, wherever I went. My heart began to pound even harder than it had previously, and my legs began to shake. I was almost about to drop to my knees when Saviour Boy finally stopped near a train station, breathing heavily himself. I moved shakily to the floor, sitting down where I was reasonably sure nobody would step on me.

Saviour Boy’s face was a mask of calm, the rapid rise and fall of his chest the only indication he had done anything but sitting drinking lemonade for the last hour.

“I…” I tried to speak, and got out one syllable before feeling completely and utterly out of breath again. I went to pass a hand over my face in an attempt to calm myself, only to realise I was shaking.

Saviour Boy sat beside me, and I could tell behind those eyes he was fighting with himself to keep his composition. He had the greenest of eyes, clear like grass after freshly fallen rain. They put my own murky blue eyes to shame.

“Are you okay?”

I sat there, shaking with both cold and a maelstrom of emotions welling up inside me which I couldn’t quite name, and knew without a doubt I was not okay. But I couldn’t tell him that. For some reason something inside me hated the idea of inducing pity in the eyes of this boy I had only just met – and met didn’t even cover it. Met made it sound like I’d just passed him on the sidewalk and said hello. No, he’d flown from a rooftop, toppling over a blonde man who was about to give me a concussion and then proceeded to defeat a group of various other men to keep me safe, and then ran with me to a train station before collapsing along with me on the ground.

For some reason, I felt like I owed him something other than inducing pity into those beautiful eyes.

He ran a hand through his tousled brown hair, and I imagined that for a moment he too was shaking. But surely my mind was playing tricks with me.

Apparently figuring I was not fit to answer such complex questions as ‘are you okay’, Saviour Boy resorted to words more simple.

“So… what’s your name?”

My mind spiralled into another swirl of confusion and unnecessary feelings. Why would he want to know my name? Should I tell him? Yes, I do think I owed it to him to at least tell him my name. But would it be safe? Maybe I should lie, and say my name is Donna or something. Maybe…

“Abigail.” There. It was too late now – apparently part of my mind had decided without a doubt I should tell him, and tell him the truth. Damn my mind – it was sneaky enough to know to just tell him before I could stop myself.

Now I was starting to sound insane.

“That’s a nice name,” Saviour Boy said absently, looking out over the throng of people passing in front of us. I looked out to them as well, and it seemed to dim my thoughts at least a little – made them more easily manageable. There were so many people. Young, old, drunk, sober. Black, white, fashionable… unique. One girl, at about fifteen, was jumping about and spinning in the air like she wouldn’t see tomorrow.

A pang of emotion stabbed at my heart as I was reminded how close I came to not seeing tomorrow, and I looked away from the girl, to the only other place there was to look, really.