Chapter 6: Obsidion Cave

Chapter 6

Obsidion Cave

            Please, come find me. In ten days time I won't be here anymore. The obsidian dagger must be removed from the display where the zircon used to be harvested in three days.

            My pencil slipped out of my hand and clattered on the floor for the tenth time in the past hour.

            "Please hold onto your pencil Jayde." The teacher snapped at me, "We're taking a test."

            "Sorry," I said retrieving it. This sucks. I thought looking at my blank test sheet. I was so tired the words just ran together. I put my pencil down again to try and answer the questions, but the pencil just slipped out of my hand again.

            "Jayde if you drop that pencil one more time I'm going to give you detention." The teacher yelled at me.

            "I'm sorry," I said leaning down to pick it up. The world spun and went black. The next thing I knew I was in the nurse's office.

            "Jayde if you weren't feeling well you could have told us and we would have taken you home." Chrystelle snapped at me from beside the bed.

            "I was taking a test. A very important test, if I fail it I'm going to have to retake the class." I muttered. "Oh, well, probably would have failed it anyways."

            Through the door I could hear my parents talking to the teacher.

            "He got really sick a few weeks ago. He was actually dead for a few minutes before the doctor brought him back. Ever since he's lost some feeling in his hands and feet. He's also been really tired. I think it's best if you let him stay home and have his friends bring his homework to him." My mother said.

            "I didn't realize he was that bad when his friends took him home last week." The office lady said.

            "We didn't know either until my wife got so worried we took him to the hospital. We actually wanted to stay home today but he insisted if he didn't do that english test he'd fail the year." My father said.

            "If he was so sick he should have stayed home and he could have made the test up later." My english teacher said.

            "So is it all right if he just does his work at home for awhile, or at least until he recovers fully?" My mother said.

            "Of course. He can do his work at home for as long as it takes." The principal said.

            "My life sucks," I said sitting up.

            "I for once can agree with you but you should be staying home anyways. We're all getting the grades to graduate early. You're the only one who isn't passing early." Chrystelle said.

            "Where's Marjan?" I asked.

            "Track practice." She said bluntly.

            "I see," was my reply.

            "Is he awake?" My mother asked opening the door a little.

            "He just got up," she said respectfully.

            "Are you ready to go home?" She asked me.

            I nodded and got out of bed. I stretched and my shirt went up and mom got a full view of the scars on my back. I sensed more than saw her flinch. Unlike the others the scars never healed after my wings grew in. My entire back was scar tissue and slightly raised from where I'd hid my wings under my skin. A useful ability for when I wanted a stick of salami. I also didn't feel disgusted when it came to eating meat.