Chapter 1

Thomas enters the crowded hallway with an innocent look on his face. He hopes no one will come up to him and ask him to do their homework. As usual. To make sure they don't, he covers his face with a hood.

"Hey, nerd!" someone calls.

No such luck. And Thomas knows there's no one else that's called a nerd but him. He turns to see the popular jock, Wes, waving at him. "Come here!" Wes says.

Thomas slumps his shoulders, and walks to Wes. "What do you want?" Thomas asks, shaking the brown hair out of his face. "I have somewhere important to go to."

Wes snorts. "Yeah, I know. Everyone has somewhere 'important' to go here at school." He uses quotation marks. "I have football practice tonight that lasts until 9. And I have math homework to do. Can you do it?"

With Wes asking a question like that, it sounds as if Thomas has a choice. But no; most people only say that to appear nice. If Thomas had ever said no, he'd be pressured until he gives in and does their bidding.

So, with that in mind, Thomas nods. "Yeah," he replies. "Send me the assignment, and I'll get it done for you by tomorrow morning."

Wes smiles in victory. "Thanks, nerd," he says. He puts his hand in his pocket, searching for something. Wes pulls it out and hands it over. "This is the homework. Make sure to write down a couple of wrong answers." He looks around for teachers, and then adds quietly, "I don't want my teacher to know you're doing it for me."

Thomas has always wanted to tell the teachers what's going on. He finds it annoying that he has to do the grunt work while his 'clients' go out and get trashed and such. However, it might have been a little better if he gets paid once in awhile.

He smiles weakly. "Sure thing," he says.

*****

Later that night, Thomas, in his bedroom, scrawls furiously on the homework, jotting down answers. As soon as he's completed both his and Wes', he leans back in his chair, hands behind his head. Thomas closes his eyes and lets himself relax. Despite his intelligence, the jock's homework was a little complicated. Thomas had to think a little for every other question.

Suddenly, his eyelids fly open, and Thomas immediately gets up. He walks over to his bookshelf and takes out a fake book. He opens it to find a cigarette lighter, a pipe, and a huge bag of weed. He takes them all out, and picks up a ball of weed. Thomas puts it in the bowl part and puts the other end on his lips. When it's secure, Thomas lights the weed and inhales. He holds his breath for 30 seconds, and then lets out the smoke that was just burning his throat and chest. Thomas' vision blurs as he feels the high. He lets out a relaxed sigh, and smiles a little. As soon as he's ready, Thomas takes another hit.

"Man, I needed this," he says to himself. He sits down in his chair, feeling better. Thomas keeps smoking until the ball is burnt out. He then puts the pipe and lighter away for safe keeping.

Thomas has been doing this for a long time. No one knows about what he does when he needs to destress, or get away from reality. And for as long as Thomas is still alive and breathing, they will never know.