Chapter 2

I heard a knock on the door. I ran down the stairs hoping  it was Britney since I invited her over today. I open the door and the smile instantly disappears off my face once I see who it is.

"Hey April." Greats my mum.

"Hey." I mumble back then walk away and into the kitchen.

I take a cupcake out of the cake tin then head back upstairs. I go over to Jesses door and knock.

"What?" I hear him reply.

"Mum's here." I reply.

"Okay I'll be down there soon."

I roll my eyes and leave his door heading back into my room and locking the door behind me.

•••

"April honey, come down here please." I hear my mum call up to me.

I roll my eyes but reluctantly get up from my comfortable spot on my bed and head downstairs. I walk into the lounge room and see that Jesse is sitting down here as well. He pats a spot on the couch next to him and I go over and sit there.

"Your dad is coming home soon." Says mum.

My eyes light up in excitement.

"How soon?" I ask.

"Next week." She replies.

A huge smile forms on my face. I haven't seen my dad in six months and I couldn't wait until next week. A frown immediately took over a my smile.

"Why so soon?" I ask. "Wasn't he meant to be back just before Christmas? What happen to him?"

My mum gives me a sad smile before hanging her head and sighing.

"He got hurt. Like real bad and he has to come home to recover." Explains mum.

"What happened?" Jesse demands and I feel tears form in my eyes threatening to spill.

"He got shot in the shoulder and leg but he's still alive just has to recover."

I hang my head and press my eyes shut. I feel an arm sling around my shoulder and I look up at Jesse who offers me a sad smile. I try to return it but instead I just look back at the floor. He's not dead I told myself no need to cry. Stop crying I kept on repeating in my head. Soon it worked and my vision wasn't blurry and I could actually see. I stood up and left the room heading back upstairs and to my bedroom. I picked up my phone and sent a text to Britney telling her that she couldn't come over anymore before laying down on my bed and crying.