CHAPTER 1

MAYA :

"Mom, Dad where are you?" I shouted as soon as I entered my home, I couldn't control my excitement any more.

"In here sweetie," my mother shouted to me from the kitchen. As soon as I stepped foot in the kitchen, my parents were locked together in a kiss, gross.

"Seriously guys, couldn't you just stop when you heard me calling for you.." I groan at their lovesick behaviour, who knew that after 24 years of marriage, they are still acting as if it is their first.

"Oh! Come on sweetheart, you know we will never stop." A smug look takes over my dad's face. It's quite inspirational really, even after so many years of marriage they still have that spark; they're still deeply in love with one another.

"So, why were you shouting, and what is that in your hand?" Mom starts eyeing the letter in my hand, happiness stars bubbling inside of me just by the mention of it.

"Well, do you guys remember I applied to the Eastwood University of Science in Chicago? Guess what, I got accepted and I'm leaving  next month!"

As soon as the words left my mouth , mom lets out a scream of joy.

 "Oh sweetheart, I'm so happy for you! You deserve it, after all, you worked so hard for it. They'd be fools not to accept you."

Yep, that's my parents for you. They've always been supportive of my choices and I love them to the ends of the Earth for it.

"Thanks mom, I'm really excited." I was still waiting for my dad to say something but he is just standing quietly in a corner since I announced the news.

"Dad, aren't you happy for me?" I hesitantly question.

"Of course I am sweetheart, but why Chicago? There are so many good colleges here in Arizona." Said my over - protective dad who just doesn't want his little baby girl to grow up and leave his nest.

"Dad, you know Chicago has the best science program, and it's always been my dream to study there, please just be happy for me. And I won't be alone there, have you forgotten that auntie Mary lives there."

 I said, trying to coax my dad into letting me go. It will be hard for him and for me too I guess, seeing as I have never been away from my parents.

"Like that makes it any better, you know that woman is a little cuckoo..." Dad rolled his eyes.

"Jonathan, don't you dare talk that way that about my sister. She is not crazy, she just has a little anger management problem." Mom yelled at him. She and aunt Mary are really close, despite being step - sisters.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, but shooting your boyfriend in the ass just because you caught him cheating on you is not a 'little problem', that's some serious sh*t; and not to mention she lives with four cats."

Dad elaborated, digging his grave a little too deep.

"That's it. You are sleeping on the couch for a week mister, and Maya will go and live with my sister in Chicago. No further discussion." Mom said in her angry 'don't mess with me' tone.

"No, love  I.... I was just kidding. Please baby don't make sleep on the couch,  you know I can't bear to stay away from you; and isn't one week too long?" His voice turns high with desperation.

"No, you will be sleeping on the couch and that's it, you should have thought of that when you started blabbering about my sister." I quietly laugh at their childish behaviour.

"Sweetheart, go and get ready. We are going shopping and, I need to go call up my sister and tell her the good news." And with that mom left the room, no doubt calling my aunt.

Just as I was going upstairs, I saw dad gave his platinum card to mom, trying to get back in mom's good graces.

I was raised in a very good environment. Money was never a problem for us, seeing as my father is a very well known cardiologist and even has his own practice. My mom is also a general surgeon but after having me, she became a stay at home mother. I am thankful for the lifestyle and upbringing they give me everyday.

After they got married, they kept trying for a baby, but it just didn't happen. Finally after five years of fertility treatment my mom got pregnant with me. After I was born, my parents decided they didn't want someone else to raise their child while they worked; so mom happily quit her job gave all her attention to me.

Due to me being an only child, my parents are very protective of me, they even went so far as to home -school me; and only in my senior year did I go to a school like a normal kid.

I have always been one of those students who give studies their first priority. That's why I never had any friends, because I was more engrossed in getting good grades than I was in gossiping and partying.

My mother has always been my only best friend and yes, I know it sounds sad but it works fine for me seeing as she always tell me what's right and what's wrong, and gives the best advice.

It's always been my dream to become a chemical engineer;
I just love chemistry and physics, it fascinates me. Now I can finally see my dream coming true.

Chicago, here I come .

LITTLE DID I KNOW , THAT LIFE HAS
PLANNED  SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT FOR ME ..........

*********************

Please Vote and Comment and Share this story with your friends .

Constructive criticism is appreciated :)

No hate comments please
:)