Chapter 4

Anne, Brody and and several dinner guests are sitting in a sprawling living room, enjoying a lavish cheese and wine spread accompanied with various sliced meats. The light and engaging atmosphere is accented by a touch of Dave Brubeck's "Blue Rondo Ala Turk" being played softly in the background. The warm vibe in the room supports the notion that these people have been friends for a long time. It is a love fest; an affectionate assembly at its best, spread over polished, hand-detailed, hardwood floors.

Anne and Brody are engaged in the free-flowing social commentary, as Michelle Bodney, hostess of the party and owner of the lavish Upper East Side apartment, leads the discussion.

"...so all I'm saying is that we should have a say in whether or not we want to pay taxes. That's all."

"Please excuse my wife. She knocked her head against one of the cabinets last week. I think it's had some lasting effects." Tom Bodney, Michelle's meek, yet extra friendly husband responds.

"I've had these feelings before we even met honey."

"I was trying to give you a way out, but..."

"I don't need a way out..."

"Giving citizens the option to not pay their taxes? That's crazy!"

Mike Jameson, WASPy Republican and long time friend of Tom, chimes in with, "Whose gonna fix the potholes on my block? Whose gonna repair the tunnels and bridges?"

"More importantly, how are the sports arenas going to be built?" Brody asks.

"Two words. Private contractors." Michelle responds.

Lisa Unez, a beautiful, confident, thirty-eight year old, single mother of two, interjects with, "You're nuts. The private sector? People can barely support themselves these days. Sports arenas and potholes aside, what about public assistance? You guys know I would have been dead in the water right after Brian and Mindy were born without that help."

"How are the twins? Anne blurts out to Lisa as she desperately wants and needs to change the subject. She feels herself falling back into the familiar space of her feeling inadequate and not being able to contribute to the conversation due to the subject matter being over her head. "I miss them. You should've brought them along." She continues.

"And have them destroy Michelle's newly waxed floors?" Lisa responds.

"No they would not mess up Michelle's hardwood floors. But, they could have beat up the carpeted floors upstairs with Gabriel. He would've love the company. He keeps saying, "Ma. Can I have a brother?" It's so cute." Michelle says.

"What do you think about Gabriel getting a sidekick? Should I be on the lookout for a shower invite?" Anne asks Michelle.

Michelle and Tom look at each other and seem at a loss for words. Tom tenderly takes Michelle's hand then speaks, "We have been trying with no luck just yet, but soon."

Awkward silence fills the room for a moment as Michelle and Tom shift in their seats. The guests notice the uneasiness of the couple, and Anne immediately feels guilty. She begins to feel a river of blood rushing to her cheeks. Nice one Lamberty. Way to put them on the spot. Your public personal interrogation technique remains flawless.

"Well, just know that second one comes out much easier than the first." Says Lisa, snapping the downward spiral.

"Really?" Michelle inquires.

"I mean, one came right after the other for me, but yeah, it was a cakewalk. I almost fell asleep."

"No way!" Anne reacts.