The Last of Normal

If you want to skip the first chapter, due its lack of action, you need to know that

Sunny has a circulatory disease that makes her wobbly and temporarily blind in the morning,

Oscar is their friend,

Trig Panther is rude and harasses girls,

They live in Anchorage Alaska,

And that Dianna is a famously rude waitress.

If I were you, I would read this chapter, since I think its all that and a basket of cookies, but to each his own.....Thank y'all.

 “Bye Mom!” I yelled in the door, grabbing a bagel of the table, closing the door quickly, hearing a muffled response. I was immediately blinded by the streaming sun. I regretted the sweatshirt and black pants, but kept hurrying down the block, shoving the bagel in my mouth, if I didn’t get a move on, I’d be late for school.

Not that it would be a bad thing, being late for North Lake High, one of the lower budgeted schools in Anchorage, Alaska. The only school in the Wailiat area, a place a ways away from the anchorage cities, but not enough to be wilderness.

Anyways, the school was filled with mold, and outdated, snail computers that took up half the room. The carpets were so stained, you’d begin to believe that they were actually brown and not blue. The worst building, the worst test scores, and ultimately, the worst kids.

I got along fine though, fitting in with it all.  Lucky, I was the kid that everyone got along with, the nice guy, the mediator. The kind of guy that would pay for your ice cream cone if you dropped it. If you were a goth or a jock, or anybody, I was cool.      

     Well, everyone but a couple choice jerks and Trig Panther and his group, the rudest and most egotistical of the bunch. Nobody dared stand up to him, because not only did he easily win every fight (I’ve seen some of these fights, he’s so good it’s scary), but there was this thing about him. This….aura about him, that made it feel like you should stay away. So, that’s how it would go until the day he would graduate, harassing girls, tormenting teachers and bullying the weak.

 But mostly, he was the only person who downright hated me, unlike middle school, where I was the shrimpiest kid in the class and was picked-on by everybody, if you were a goth, jock or anybody, I was dead meat.

 The only person who ever stuck up for me was Sunny (tallest girl in the class at her time) who lived on the same street as me and saved me from a beating from Riley Johnson, the streets bully. In fact, he ended up crying and running home with a fat lip. Which was completely ironic, because the first times we started hanging out together, her parents said to me “Now you keep our little girl safe, okay?”.

 Easier said then done, because she was one tough little cookie. Now that I surpassed her by mere inches in the height department, I got my ego stayed intact from being saved by a girl who was grades younger than me.

I walked on the gravel path in between a lawn of fresh, rainy grass. I loved that smell. Sunny smiled at me with warmth, sitting on the chipping blue porch.

“You’re late, Logan! I win!” She shouted smugly across the lawn, referring to a bet we had made formally that she couldn’t go a week without keeping me waiting on the porch while she was getting ready.

“You did not! I was here yesterday-“ I started.

“That’s not fair! I was here before your foot touched the porch!” She said dramatically. She smiled broadly, she knew I had won. I rolled my eyes jokingly. “Girls rule. I win.” She declared grabbing her schoolbag from next to her and getting up slowly, her legs wobbled and arms started shaking.