Prologue

Connie

I was half asleep when my twin sister barged in my room looking frantic.

Ugh. I mentally groaned. I told her not to wake me up from my afternoon nap especially on this particular day when I just got home from the hospital after a week lying on a place that stench like anesthesia and death. Ironic, how hospitals should have smelled like flowers and life.

She shook me rather forcefully and kept whisper-shouting on my ear for me to wake up.

"Hey! Connie! Wake up. Please." She pulled my blanket off as I tried to cover myself with it.

"What?" I whisper-shouted, mimicking her.

"Shush. Don't make any loud noises please. They will hear."

I rolled my eyes and looked at her. She was visibly shaking with fear. Her eyes dating from me to the door to the window then back to me. I immediately felt a shock of fear travel through my body. The way she paced and breathed heavily, she seemed like she ran away from someone, or something.

"Hey, Jess. Calm down." I pulled my twin sister beside me and rubbed her back. Jess looked like she was on the verge of tears.

When she seemed that she was a lot calmer than before I took out a bottle of water from under my bed and made her drink. She gulped the water quickly then stood. She made her way to the door on her tiptoes, as if she was afraid someone was gonna hear and charge at the door.

Jess pushed my closet to block the door. She didn't seem assured that the closet was going to stop the door from opening if anyone tried to enter so she added my study table to the barricade as well.

"What the hell Jess!" I hissed at her. "Are there any robbers in the house?" I went to the bathroom door that was connected to my little sister's room.

I was halfway to the bathroom when Jess pulled at me and told me no.

"The fuck Jess? Meg is on the other room! If there are any robbers in the house we can't just leave her in her room." I shook her hands away and went for the door.

"There are no robbers!" She hissed.

"Then why are you acting like such a freak and barricading my door!" I growled at her.

"B-because there's..." She struggled trying to find the right words. "Things!" She finished.

I looked at her funnily and went over her to check if she had a fever. She slapped my arm away and walked over to my bed. She knelt on the floor and took my safety kit from under my bed. All of us except Meg has safety kits under their beds.

"Are you sick? As far as I know, I'm the one who just got home from the hospital?" I told her sarcastically. "Or are you playing a prank on me?"

Either she didn't hear me or she ignored me. And I think it was the latter.

Jess rummaged through my safety kit ant took out my Swiss knife and took the golf club from under the bed. She handed me the Swiss knife and the look she sent me was pure terror. I didn't understand why she was acting like a lunatic, all jumpy and frantic.

"Jess? What in the name of hell are you doing?" I asked her carefully, fear slowly creeping up again on my skin.

"Listen Connie, I don't know what the hell is happening but there's something wrong downstairs. They- they..." She looked away from me as she swallowed a sob and blinked back tears.

"Where's Meg?" I choked.

"She's out back. On the tree house." She jumped as a loud crash came from downstairs.