Chapter 2: The X

"Stop!"

I sucked a breath, watching Jess hold the gun to Blondie's temple.

"Put down the gun or I will shoot." Jess said slowly her breath coming out raggedly.

Blondie's face was as hard as stone and his hand was clutching the gun pretty hard, making his knuckles turn white.

"Listen asshole, I saw my Dad shoot a gun many times and I assure you that he taught me how to. And you're not the first person I killed, or will. So, PUT. THE. GUN. DOWN." Jess growled, poking his temple forcefully after every word.

I carefully took the gun out of his grasp as he stared at me intently, looking at me like he wanted to kill me. Which, he probably does. When the gun was out of his grasp he raised his hand a little bit above his head and smirked. We could now hear the other scavengers he was with running from afar.

"Technically princess, you didn't kill that moron. The zombie did. And if you don't shoot him in the head now, you're probably gonna be his next meal." He motioned his head to the guy who got bit.

The guy was lying still as the zombie continued to feast on his amputated arm. His body was pale from blood loss and his face stuck in a shout of agony.

Slowly, he twitched and jerked and went back to life, but not as a human anymore.

It growled and tried to stand but never got the chance. I shot him just above his right ear and his skull exploded along with other things I don't want to mention. I also wasted another good bullet to shoot the zombie that was oblivious to our existence as it ate.

Blondie smirked and cocked a brow at me and chuckled.

"Didn't know you had that in you sweetcheek-"

He didn't get to finish before I kicked him in the shin. He fell on his knees with a groan and I slammed the butt of the gun to his cheek.

'Ahh' was the only thing Blondie said before he spat a good dose of blood.

"Sorry sweetcheeks." I told him sweetly. "But we gotta go." I gave his now throbbing, black and blue cheek a not so light pat before I told Jess to pick up the bag so we could leave.

We were almost at the corner when another guy- who looked more or less his age- neared Blondie.

"Brett!" I heard the guy call as he reached Blondie. "Should I chase them?" I turned to see him point a gun to us and I ran a little bit faster.

"Don't" I heard Blondie say. "Let them! I'll enjoy playing cat and mouse with those bitches!" He yelled, purposely making us hear.

I guffawed.' Darling, we'll be out of here before the sun sets.' I thought to myself.

We turned the corner and crossed the street, entering another alleyway that's darker and narrower than the last.

"Jess!" I called after her as I stopped and leaned on the wall to rest. Jess stopped and mimicked my pose.

"Connie, that was great!" She chuckled and sat on the floor beside me.

"You should've seen yourself."

I scanned the area for zombies or people following and saw none.

I backtracked and smiled at myself when I remembered Blondie's look after I slammed the gun into his cocky face.

Remembering that I also have been hit in the face, I touched the cheeked that was burning and winced when I touched a cut. It was probably going to bruise. Hell, it might've been bruising now.