Face Off

Early that Thursday evening Neela pulled up outside of Han's garage. The cool sea breeze lifted her hair from the back of her neck and she was grateful for it as she climbed out of her Mazda. The soaring temperatures weren't dropping any as the day gave way to dusk.

Inside the garage Sean was working on the Evo, he was still determined to have it up and running by the weekend. It was proving to be some task especially when Earl and Reiko still couldn't agree on the graphics. Twinkie was sitting cross-legged on one of the workbenches, his cell phone attached to his ear, no doubt calling in all the bets for the race that they were heading out to later.

Bobbie got out of Neela's car, slamming the passenger door behind her. The raised voices coming from within the garage could be heard a mile away. "Do those two ever give it a rest?" She sent a look in Reiko and Earl's direction. "Seriously, why don't they just get it on and be done with it."

"You think everything's about sex," smiled Neela.

"It's the most fundamental of human urges. And it's also common knowledge that the more you hate on someone the more you want them."

"Voice of experience?"

"Maybe."

Neela tilted her head to one side, frowning ever so slightly as she surveyed her friend from across the car roof. "Everything okay?"

The question was unexpected so Bobbie gave her a frown back. "Sure," she said and verified it with a nod. "Why ask?"

"You were quiet over dinner, which is weird because usually nothing and no one can shut you up. Then you locked yourself in the bathroom for a good hour."

"Another reason why I should have stayed at the motel. You know what I'm like when I get in there. Has Sean been nagging?"

"Sean never complains about anything." Neela paused. "You've been quiet most of the day. Guess I'm not used to it."

"Just thinking about stuff," Bobbie said. Her eyes shifted to the Evo that Sean was busy with.

"Stuff you want to talk about?"

"Not right now."

"Okay." Neela nodded and took it on the chin. She always knew when to back down graciously. Pressure wasn't the way to go with Bobbie. "Let's go inside."

Bobbie hadn't mentioned about going up on the roof with Han, nor had she mentioned the kiss. Neela would be on her case about 'staying away and not getting involved'. Not telling her friend was the easy part; the hard part was trying to forget the kiss had happened. She kept forcing herself to shut it down and not deal with its effect on her. It wasn't right how much she had replayed it in her head, and how she remembered every little thing about a kiss that, in reality, lasted only a mere few seconds. It was just a kiss and it was best forgotten. All round. She really didn't want to be thinking about any of it right now. She had more important stuff going on.

"Hey, beautiful," Sean greeted Neela as she came inside the too warm garage.

"Hey, handsome," she smiled at her boyfriend. "How's it coming?"

"Pretty good. I just hope those two can quit arguin' long enough to decide on the paintwork," he replied, gesturing at Reiko and Earl.

"Don't count on it."

At the next lift over, Han was under the hood of his Nissan Silvia S15. When Sean first arrived in Tokyo he had loaned him his treasured 'Mona Lisa' so he could race against Takashi. Knowing absolutely nothing about drifting, it came as no surprise when Sean totalled the car. Han had spent the days after lovingly rebuilding her but she hadn't ran or felt the same since. There were a few car parts pulled out, laying on a tarp behind the bumper and when Han heard the voices he glanced over his shoulder and watched Bobbie stride in, heels clicking on the concrete, hands tucked into the back pockets of her jeans. He'd never seen a girl walk the way she did. Like she was saying 'come and get me' and 'you can't have me'. She was like a walking fantasy.