Chapter Two: The Portrait Behind The Black Curtain

Artemesia shivered. Was that really her father? She opened her eyes and saw the new headmistress standing in front of her. McGonagall looked tired, her hair was messy and ashes from the distruction have set on her face. „I am so, deeply sorry. I apologize for misunderstanding. I was wrong about your father. We all were.", McGonagall said as she stood in front of her student. Artemesia nodded, she knew from the beginning, that Snape didn't murder Albus Dumbledore out of cold blood.

A few days before the night Albus Dumbledore died, her father came to visit her. He seemed worried as they sat down together. „Artemesia, soon things will happen and I want you to know, that I do not want to be a part of it. But, we all have our roles in the war to come.", Snape said. His daughter didn't understand what he meant, but she kept listening carefully. „What I am about to tell you, must never leave this room. Do you understand?", he asked. „Of course.", she promised. Snape leaned foward and lowered his voice. He pulled out his wand and whispered: „Muffliato". „Now, I have already told you, that the headmaster is ill. I have managed to brew a potion that will contain the curse to his hand, but eventually, it will spread and he will die from it. I have also heard, that Draco Malfoy was chosen by the Dark Lord to kill Professor Dumbledore. Albus has heard of this as well and...", Snape inhaled, it was difficult for him to say the following words, „And he asked me to kill him." Artemesia held her breath. „But...", she began, but her father raised his hand and she let him explain. „The only reason why I agreed to do this, was because Albus and I know, that if Draco does fulfill this task, there will be no return for him. Ever. I also made the unbreakable vow. Promising Narcissa Malfoy I would protect her son from harm. Either way, in the end I will have to kill one of the greatest wizards of our time and a friend of mine. And I don't want to do this, but I have to. Remember, what I told you. No matter what others might say after.", her father's words echoed inside her head. McGonagall gave Artemesia a worried look. „I'm sorry,Professor. I was just.... remembering.", Artemesia apologized. McGonagall gave her a faint smile and moved over to a portrait, hidden underneath a black curtain. „You can talk to him now, if you wish to.", McGonagall said. Artemesia began to shake, what would it be like? Talking to her father through a portrait? She nodded and McGonagall pulled the curtain aside, revealing Severus Snape the way Artemesia remembered him. Dark robes with a hint of white underneath them. Her eyes filled up with tears as she slowly moved closer and whispered: „I miss you, dad". He nodded and lifted up his hands, as if to embrace his daughter, who was so full of sorrow in this moment. „My dearest daughter, you have been so brave. And you will continue to be brave. You will be strong and you will be happy again.", he said. „But how? How, dad? So many have died. You have died.", she replied. „I am never fully gone, am I now? You see, as a former headmaster of Hogwarts, I will always be here, in this painting. You can always come to me, if you need advice. I'm sure Minerva wouldn't mind.", he glanced over to Professor McGonagall, who nodded. „Always remember, that you are never alone. Especially not in Hogwarts, my child. Good has triumphed over evil, but there will always be evil forces challenging the good in each and every one of us. Now it is your purpose to make sure the good will continue to be victorious. I hope the time of peace has finally come, but we often don't get what we ask for. Just never, ever lose hope, my dear.", his words sunk into Artemesia like water into a sponge. She took in every word he said and felt a shimmer of hope grow inside her. Hope for a peaceful time. Without war, violence and death. A generation or more, who don't have to experience the horrors they went through. She put her hands onto the silver frame and looked into his eyes. „I will always miss you, father.", she whispered and closed her eyes. Once again, she felt his hands on her shoulders. Then one beneath her chin, lifting it upwards. She opened her eyes to meet her father's. „I can still feel your presence.", she said. He nodded and replied: „I will always...be watching over you".Artemesia sniffed and wiped away a tear before she pressed her hands against her lips and then whispered: „Goodbye, dad".

McGonagall let the curtain fall again, hiding Snape behind the black fabric. „Thank you, Professor.", Artemesia said. The Professor put her hands on the young witch's shoulders and looked into her ice blue eyes. „Your father was right. You'll never be alone, especially not in Hogwarts.", the Professor said. Artemesia nodded and then took a deep breath. She was still covered in her father's blood, dirt and ashes from the battle and a few burn marks were left behind from the previous night as well. „Now, off you go to your dormitory. Your mother will be here soon.", McGonagall sent Artemesia out and said her goodbyes. Most students were being sent home, to recover, to mourn and to heal.

While Artemesia was packing her trunk, she found a necklace, which was given to her by her father. A silver snake, which wrapped around her neck and had green emeralds as it's eyes. The necklace was enchanted, too. The snake would slither down her arms, transforming into a bracelet and then sliding back up and returning into being a necklace. A faint smile crossed her face as she gently ran her fingers over the cold metal. She walked over to the mirror and put the necklace on. Almost immediately, the snake began to move and slide down her right arm, wrapping itself around her wrist and lower arm before returning into a solid state. She continued to pack her trunk. The stained and burnt robes she had thrown away and was now wearing a black tunic with black leather pants and a long, black coat. Artemesia had also reapplied her makeup and after everything was packed, she flicked her wand and her luggage disappeared. She left the Slytherin common room and stopped by her father's old office. It was now empty, only a few old relics remained on their shelves. Until Artemesia noticed a shimmer below a bookshelf. She walked inside, crouched down and pulled a tiny, sparkling box from underneath the shelf. Something was carved into the bottom of the box, she could feel it as she ran her fingers over the box. „For my beloved daughter.",the carving said. Did Snape hide this for her? Did he know she was going to find the box? She was curious, so she flipped the box and opened it. Inside was another necklace. A small, black bird with ice blue eyes. Her raven as a pendant. As she examined the beautiful piece of jewlery, she discovered another carving: „The Blue Eyed Raven".She held the pendant close to her heart and closed her eyes. „Thank you, dad.", she whispered into the empty room. As she left, she was wearing the necklace and even though her heart still ached from the losses, she felt strong and hopeful. Her father's presence was now more noticeable. He would always be with her. Always.