Chapter Eleven

Tam slung his battered pack to the ground, leaned one shoulder against the wall, and tried not to look like he was waiting for Jennet. Still, he knew it the moment she walked out of the school.

She glanced up and saw him. For a second, she hesitated. His breath tightened, then eased when she came over to join him.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hi.” She didn’t meet his gaze.

She looked like she’d been crying. Not obviously, but there was a puffiness around her eyes, and her lashes were stuck together with the memory of tears.

He jammed his hands into his pockets, feeling toxic. Here was Jennet, who had so much going for her, and all he could do was drag her down.

She stared at the ground, and there didn’t seem to be anything to say. He looked at her, tongue glued to the top of his mouth. A couple more students came through the doors.

“Look,” he said, grateful for the distraction, “there goes Lassiter with his new girlfriend.” They had their arms around each other, and Keeli was staring up into Lassiter’s face.

“Guess that means he won’t be inviting me over,” Jennet said.

“Good.” The word was out before he could think. “Listen, about what I said at lunch… I just wanted to make Marny feel better.”

She folded her arms across her chest. “That doesn’t mean you didn’t believe what you were saying. That Viewers belong with their own kind.”

“I wasn’t thinking. I’m sorry, Jennet.” He swiped the hair out of his eyes. “But we’re still friends, right?”

“Friends.” She said the word like it was dirt in her mouth. “Is that what you want? A pet rich-girl for a friend?”

“Of course not! You’re so much more than that. You deserve the best.”

She met his eyes, anger sparking her gaze. “Do I? Is Roy Lassiter the best, in your book? Is that really what I deserve - an egotistical, shallow guy who treats me like an idiot? You think that highly of me, huh?”

She had a point.  “Well - ”

“What about a guy who stands by his word? A guy who always tries to do the right thing? Who risked his life to save me? Maybe I deserve someone like that, Tam Linn. Maybe I deserve you. Ever think of that?”

“I…” He swallowed and glanced at the ground. “I hadn’t thought about it that way.”

“So, start thinking.” She let out a low breath. “That’s all I ask.”

Part of him wanted to turn on his heel and head for the Exe. This was too hard. He was going to let her down anyway - it might as well be now. But the part of him that had battled monsters and braved dark magic was too stubborn to let go. Jennet was worth it.

Her words knocked around inside him, chipping the edges off of things he’d always believed were true. He didn’t believe her, not quite, but he couldn’t just walk away.

“Alright.” He met her gaze, held it. “Forgive me?”

The frustration in her expression faded, the heat of anger in her eyes softening to warmth.

“Okay,” she said, after a moment. “Now grab your stuff and come on - George is waiting with the grav-car.”

“What? Where are we going?”

“My house. I want to try something. That is… if you’re free.”

His head was whirling. One minute, he and Jennet were barely speaking, the next, she’d given him a royal talking-to and was taking him home with her. That was progress, right? He bent and scooped up his backpack. At least nothing was permanently broken between them.