4

Warning. Strong language is used in this chapter.

Maddison wasn't sure how long they sat there. Even after Billy had calmed they still held onto each other. She kissed the top of his head as she thought about what he had told her. She knew all too well how it felt to be the survivor.

Their tranquility was disrupted by a knocking on the door. Maddison disengaged herself from Billy's arms to answer it.

She opened the door to see Mrs. Harrington holding a broom and a dust pan. Maddison saw the remains of the vase sitting in the dust pan.

"I'm very sorry, Mrs. Harrington," she felt her stomach fall as she realized what she had done. This was the first time she had damaged someone else's property during a blackout.

Mrs. Harrington's lips pursed slightly but softened as she watched the turmoil roll across Maddison's face. "It'll be all right, Miss. Just promise me it won't happen again?"

Maddison nodded furiously, trying to smile reassuringly. Mrs. Harrington smiled back and headed back downstairs.

"I should be headed back to my flat," she jumped when Billy spoke so close behind her. She turned around and gave him a half smile.

"Thank you for your help last night. I really don't drink like that very often."

"Nothing to worry about, it happens to the best of us," he reassured her. He brushed by her on the way out the door. He stopped at the doorway and took her hand in his. "I have a date to plan. Until tomorrow," he said, kissing her knuckles before releasing her hand.

Maddison stood there and watched him enter his own apartment and close the door. Then she closed her own door and started working on her derelict chores.

Tom had his phone to his ear by the time he closed the door to his flat. His friend picked up on the third ring.

"Hi, Ben. Yes, I'm fine. I'll tell you all about it when I get back, but listen, I need to ask a favor..."

***

Maddison was the first one at the shop the next morning. She went around, turning on lights and opening the bay doors. Charlie was the next to show up followed by the rest of the crew.

"Connor!" she couldn't help screaming in delight when she saw her favorite Scottish giant arrive. "How was Inverness?"

Connor's bushy red brows raised then furrowed. He pulled her into a bear hug as soon as she came within reach.

"Ach lassie, it was damn cold without my spitfire to keep me warm," he chuckled as they hugged. Maddison heard someone clear their throat. She looked to see Billy had arrived. He was holding a few boxes that looked like they came from the bakery down the street. He looked warily between Maddison and Connor.

Maddison stepped away from Connor, smiling at Billy. "This is Connor Duff. He was away on holiday when you started on Friday. Connor this is Billy. Charlie hired him to work as my apprentice."

Connor walked over to Billy. He made Billy look small standing next to his large frame, standing at seven foot. He was built like a brick house and could make himself look very intimidating when he wanted to. Billy didn't appear to be phased by the man's stature. He put on a bright smile and held out his free hand.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Duff," Tom waited to see what the giant's reaction would be. He recognized a protective figure when he saw one. This man could make his attempts to woo Maddison turn to Herculean levels if he wasn't careful.