Chapter Two

As I walked out of Ollivander's, that pervy boy came up to me again. I gripped my wand, preparing to scare him. "Hey babe," he said in a very innocent way, almost making me believe we had been dating a long time. "Lemme see your wand." And in a blink of an eye he grabbed my wrist and took my wand. "Very bad-ass."

"Are you going to give it back or do I have to take it from you? Either way is good because I actually enjoy kicking the daylights out of hormonal preteens." I said very sternly. I wanted to threaten him and make him seem scared of me. He didn't seem to be buying it. 

"Give me your best shot." He said with a smile. He thought I was joking, but I had places to be and didn't have time for this tedious flirting. With no warning, I kneed him in the crotch with all my strength. He bent over in pain, and, to seize the opportunity, I kicked him right in the nose with my shoe. He fell to the ground my wand dropped out of his hand and rolled a couple inches away from the boy. I casually stepped over the boy and bent down to pick up my wand. As I turned the corner of Diagon Alley, I saw many kids my age watching as I walked away from the boy crying out in pain. I examined their faces; some were terrified, some were impressed, and, my favorite of all, some of them were intimidated. 

-----

I decided I needed a pet for school. I decided on an owl seeing as that the owl would be able to deliver my mail and, if I found one cool enough, could be a suitable companion for the years to come. As I searched the store for a cool owl, three kids my age ran up to me. With my heels on I was taller than them, but without them I would have been the same height. Of the kids who came up to me, there were two boys and one girl. The girl was skinny like me, but had blonde, almost platinum, hair and dark green eyes. One of the boys was muscular, which was weird for our age, and he had very neat brown hair accompanied by the same colored eyes. The last boy was skinny too, and had jet black hair, which was odd considering he had blue eyes. The girl was the first to speak.

"We saw you beat that kid up, and I think I speak for all of us when I say that we want to be your friend. I am Vanessa. This is Garrett." She pointed to the muscular boy. "And this is Jacob." She pointed to the skinny boy. "You want to be in Slytherin right?" I nodded my head, because, although my parents won't approve of this, I don't want to be a worker in the Ministry of Magic. I want to be on top, I want to be feared, and, most of all, I want to be respected.

"I'm Emily." I told the girl.

"So, now I guess we are friends." They all smiled at that and then ran off. I'm happy I made some friends, but that was the weirdest way to make them. I shrugged it off and decided to turn my attention to the owls again. They were all lame, all snow white or brown. But then, at the back of the store, I saw him. An owl, small but not tiny, with pitch black feathers. And its eyes were a dark green. It was the coolest looking owl I have ever seen. I ran up to the store clerk.

"How much for that owl." I pointed towards the one that caught my eye.

"Anguis? He is expensive little girl." He said so condescendingly. 

"That is why I asked how much." I said sternly back.

"Ten Galleons." 

"Ten?! I'll give you eight."

"Sweetie, I am not negotiating."

"Nine." I stood up very tall and tried to look very threatening.

"Fine, nine, only because you look like a promising young student." I handed the man the Galleons and he went to fetch the bird. He brought back Anguis, the owl, who immediately hopped out of his cage and landed on my shoulder at then sight of me. The case was standard, metal bars with a door and a wooden perch for Anguis to stand on. 

-----

I left the owl shop with Anguis still perched on my shoulder. I spent the rest of the day buying my textbooks and robes. The robes were dreadful and the only downside of this school is that I have to wear them. I bought all the books I needed and was about to leave the bookstore when a book of all spells known to witches and wizards. I met my parents back at the pub and we went home. For the next week, my parents and I packed until the day came when I was to leave for Hogwarts.

I woke up that morning and brushed my hair. I slipped on a loose blue top and short shorts. I didn't dress like a normal London girl. They dress so conservatively and it is so boring. So I prefer my way of dressing. I took my suitcase down the stairs and loaded them in the trunk of my parents' car. We drove to the train station and we ran through the wall together to get to platform nine and three-quarters. We gave the luggage to a conductor who loaded it onto the train. I hugged my parents goodbye and they started crying. I pretended to be upset for their sake but I was secretly very happy to be leaving them. They are always worried about me; how I dress, how I act, how I talk. It got tiring. 

I boarded the train and sat down in an empty room. I was looking out the window at my parents when I heard a girly shriek of excitement. "EMILY!" I heard Vanessa scream. I turned to see her there, along with Garret and Jacob. 

"Hey guys." I said to them and motioned for them to sit with me. I knew that they basically would just follow me no matter what I did, but they also seemed nice. We spent the whole train ride talking. Garrett told us how his dad is a wizard but his mother isn't and she had no clue until they had Garrett and the dad knew Garrett was a wizard. Vanessa's parents were both wizards, and so was Jacob's.

During silences where we temporarily ran out of things to talk about, I would flip through my spell book, reading all of the names and the pronunciations and the usages. The train came to a halt just as I bookmarked a subsection of spells: The Unforgivable Curses.