Prologue

I remember. The time when Mia and I went to Rome, Italy in November. We gave our feet a rest, on the steps near St. Peter's Basilica. Enjoying the beautiful scenery at 18:49 in the evening. Then she dropped the news.

"Alex, I've got to tell you something," Mia broke our silence,

"Mia. What is it?" I asked her. The look on her face seemed dark. Upset, and full of emotions.

"Alex, this could change everything." Her eyes started to become watery. Tears dropped. Drop by drop down her flawless skin. "No, Alex this is going to change everything."

"Mia, you can tell me anything. You know that," I assured her.

"Brain tumor," she blurted.

She burst into tears, and I was just speechless. My mouth hung open as I wrapped my tired arms around her petite figure. Holding her tight, and giving her forehead kisses as if it was the last time I was going to see her. 

Drop by drop, my eyes were watering again. 

She was right. It did change everything. I saw her differently. But I knew she wouldn't want that. She wanted me to treat her the same way I always have. She must've gone through a lot. And her telling me must've been tough. She looked composed, she was acting so strong the entire time we'd been here in Italy.  

"Mia. " 

"I didn't know how to break it to you I'm so sorry." Mia, still in tears with mascara smeared all over her face, told us.

"Um... how long do you...?" Alex inquired slowly. Without him finishing off his question, Mia cut him off.

"3 weeks."