Prologue: The Girl Who Loved Too Much

The Only Exception

Prologue: The Girl Who Loved Too Much

Elena's POV

I walked out of the Whitmore College Medical Center after my shift late at night, the full moon hung in the sky. Jo had left an hour earlier to go spend some time at home with Alaric after I told her that I would handle everything. At about nine, I cleaned up and changed out of my scrubs before signing out. I wore a pair of black skinny jeans, a red tank top, and a pair of black converse. My hair was down in loose curls and I carried my black leather purse on my right shoulder, my stiletto manicured nails were painted black. It was exactly two weeks before my twenty first birthday and my life was starting to look up. Stephen had left town, leaving us all in peace. I had finally dumped Damon, ho proved to be a cheating asshole. Kai was still around, but he had become less annoying and we had actually become friends of sorts so I could deal with that. I had two best friends, Bonnie and Caroline. Two other childhood friends, Matt and Tyler. An amazing stepdad, Alaric who had finally found his happy ending with Jo and his unborn twins. Bonnie and Jeremy had gotten back together, and Liv and Tyler were back together as well. Matt was starting a relationship with this sweet human girl, Mary Connor. Caroline had gotten her mojo back and was starting out her very own party planning business, Caroline's Party Planning. Things were starting to look good. I walked through the campus and when I was about two blocks away from the dorm buildings, I heard the snap of a twig. I turned around in the direction of the sound. I didn't see anyone so I kept walking until I was right in front of the dorm building when a group of woman and men chanting me formed a circle around, witches. I let my fangs slide into place as I felt my vampiric features slid into place. I dropped my purse, he leader stood in front of. She had platinum blonde hair as she stood in a black flowing mini dress.

"My name is Alice Bellerose. I don't particularly like hurting people, even vampires but I have to do this. It's the only way to get to the Originals, you're his weakness" she said. Then it dawned on me, Elijah. They meant I was Elijah's weakness, but that wasn't possible. I hadn't seen him in over two years.

"You have the wrong girl" I hissed out. She tilted her head to the side and considered me with her baby blue eyes.

"You genuinely believe that you mean nothing to him, don't you? He cares for you more than anyone will ever truly know. You are the only thing that keeps the monster locked inside. You are everything to him and unfortunately you will have to pay for his love for you" she said. Then someone snuck behind me and placed rusted chain shackles on my wrists. I looked up at Alice in confusion. She smirked.

"Did you really think that we would go after you without doing our research? We know about the Romani Magic that you have been able to unlock even as a vampire, these chains will block you from using that magic" she said. I used my vampiric speed to try to attack before I fell to my knees in front of her and clutching my head in pain. I fought through the pain and stood back up onto my feet.

"You're stronger than you look" she said, slightly impressed.

"You can hurt me all you like, but I won't let you touch him" I said. She smirked again.

"We'll see about that" she said before they all started chanting again. I felt myself weaken and sway off center as they continued.

"Elijah" I whispered as I blacked out and fell to the ground.