Chapter One: The Man Of Honor

The Only Exception

Chapter One: The Man Of Honor

Elijah's POV

I stood with my siblings Freya, Klaus, and Rebekah and Camille and Marcel around a round table in the courtyard of the Abattoir as we discussed plans to go up against the French Quarter witches that have recently been actively going against us and apparently Davina since she was regent and hadn't ordered the attacks. I removed my black suit jacket and tie even though the summer heat did not affect vampires. We were having a discussion or what could pass for a discussion in my family. Rebekah and Klaus yelled each other across the table as Freya rolled her eyes, Camille looked on in worry, and Marcel wore a smile of amusement. The two of them, the only creatures on earth that could break through apathetic and stoic façade and cause me to be exasperated. Except for her of course, but she caused me to feel a completely different emotion. I pushed the thought of her to the back of my mind before the set of emotions attached to her could resurface. This is why I had briefly entertained the thoughts of Hayley and Gia. There were a few key difference between the three women. While finding a reason to be in love with Hayley was difficult, being with her was easier. She was uncomplicated and if it weren't for her being married to Jackson, being with her wouldn't cause complete chaos. Gia would have been easy to be in love with her if I hadn't already met her. She was supposed to be perfect and she was, just not for me. She couldn't compare to her. So I ended things with Gia before she left New Orleans for good. But while falling madly in love her was easy as breathing, being with her wouldn't be. There were too many objections on both ends, she would be torn and racked with guilt. I wasn't going to force her to choose a side. I just couldn't do that to Elena. I sighed deeply at my family's antic and pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration.

"Must the two of you always act like ill-mannered children," I admonished.

"Must you always be so judgmental, brother," Rebekah mocked.

"I wouldn't have to be if you behaved, at least in front of guests. The family drama belongs behind closed doors, not in public," I said. Freya scoffed.

"I think it's too late for that, especially after recent events. We have become a spectacle for the whole of New Orleans to see," she said.

"Does not mean we cannot act with at least a miniscule amount of decorum," I said before I heard footsteps fall to the ground at a quick pace. I turned to the right to see Davina Claire running towards me in a black sleeveless romper. She had been wearing that color and staying here quite often since Kol's death. She reminded me so much of Elena, it was almost scary. They both had the same type of strength, fiery nature, and compassionate souls. She stopped in front of me, just a few feet away and out of breath. Josh and Aiden stood a few feet behind her.

"We need to talk," she breathed out. Worry, Fear, and Guilt tinged her voice, but I forced myself into feigning an uncaring attitude.

"Can we do this later? We're a little busy," I said, trying to replace my emotionless façade and push back thoughts of Elena as I turned back to my siblings. I couldn't care about her and I couldn't care about Davina, I couldn't care about anyone. It hurt too much. I learned that the night of Esther's ball where Elena proved to be the warrior queen I always knew she could be and turned her love for her family into a useful weapon. Then I turned her into another one of my victims. Davina had to be kept at a safe distance where I could protect her without hurting her. I wasn't able to keep the two mutually exclusive with Elena. I wasn't going to fail this time. No one else was going to get hurt like she had that night.

"It's about Elena Gilbert," Davina called out. I tensed and Rebekah and Klaus froze. I used my vampiric speed and sped over until I was one inch away from her and let my vampiric form slide into place before disappearing. She swallowed in fear.