Chapter 9: Scratch

When Dani materialized in the Enterprise's transporter room, familiar faces awaited her. Captain Picard, Will Riker, Counselor Troi, Kathryn Janeway and Chakotay all watched on eagerly as Dani's form solidified. She had hardly taken one step off the transporter pad when her parents engulfed her. It was as if they were in too much of a hurry to even take turns. Both of them embraced her at the same time.

"Welcome home," Chakotay said, a huge grin on his face.

"You don't know how relieved we are to have you back," Kathryn beamed.

"It's good to be back, "Dani said, with a little smile. It was the truth. It was nice to be back in a place where the majority of the population didn't hate you. She'd had two days to grieve for Dukat and look at the situation more objectively while being transported to Federation space. While she knew it would be a long while before she would be over Dukat, she was no longer in the state of shock she'd been in the night her life had changed - again.

Dani looked from her parents to Captain Picard, Will and Deanna. "Captain," she greeted.

"Lieutenant," Picard said. "I told you we would find a way to get you home."

"I know," Dani said. She silently wished that they wouldn't have been successful. Living among Cardassians hadn't exactly been the highest point in her life, but she would gladly return if it meant she could have Dukat back. How ironic that the decision she had dreaded making months ago was now crystal clear. She looked up at Picard, trying her best to look happy, but feeling somehow that she was failing. "I never doubted that you or anyone else here would keep trying."

Picard smiled gently. "Welcome home, Lieutenant."

"Thank you, sir," Dani said.

Deanna had watched the interaction between Dani and her parents and now watched the exchange between the woman and the captain. What she found odd about the entire ordeal was that she didn't pick up any sense of elation or joy from Dani. On the contrary, there was an overall sadness about the lieutenant that seemed out of place for someone who was returning home from captivity.

Picard continued. "We'll be on a course to Earth within the hour," he informed Dani. "Starfleet wants to debrief you as soon as possible."

Dani nodded. She'd expected that. In fact, she'd been preparing for it and would continue to prepare for it until the Enterprise arrived at Earth.

"Right now, I suspect that you want to see your quarters again," Picard surmised.

"Yes, sir," Dani said.

"Very well. I'll let Will escort you."

Dani nodded and turned to her parents. "Let's have dinner later on, okay?" she suggested.

"Whatever you want to do," Kathryn said.

Dani smiled and turned to Will next. "After you," he said, gesturing to the door. Dani led the way out of the transporter room.

"How was your trip?" Will asked once they'd left the others.

"It was fine - considering ... " Dani said. Her trip from Cardassia had been uneventful, even peaceful, providing her much time for reflection. The others on the little ship left her to herself in her little cabin, which was the way she'd wanted it.

"Dani," Will began, "what happened was not supposed to happen." He felt the need to speak on the matter, even though he expected it would still be a touchy subject for her. "Killing Dukat was never part of the plan." Will, along with Captain Picard and Admiral Necheyev, had received a report on what had transpired on Cardassia's surface. Will, who had held a crucial role in the planning of the rescue attempt, had never called for Dukat's murder. He knew that doing so would have crushed Dani. But somehow, it had happened anyway, and it was obvious, at least to him, that Dani was having a difficult time dealing with it. "You were supposed to leave Cardassia, but Dukat was supposed to be remain alive."