Chapter 3 - Lara

I was surprised when I was summoned by my father.

I had been reading, a hobby that Vivian says is more of an addiction, in the gazebo. It stood in the very center of the mass garden that had been planted many years before behind the castle. It was home to every flower, tree, and bush that you could possibly imagine. The colors always seemed more vibrant to me in the garden than anywhere else, second in beauty only to my mothers clearing. I had been there since the breaking of dawn, the cool morning mist gently spraying the flowers and the tips of my hair which were pulled out past the edge of the covering with every breeze that passed my way.

I almost didn't believe the guard, Henry, I believe his name was, when he told me that my father requested to speak with me. My emotions ranged from surprise, to joy, before finally settling at fear. My father never spoke to me, so for him to want to see me surely meant he was angry. I started to replay every action I had made and word I had spoken, trying to figure out what it could have been that I had done to make my father want to request my presence. When nothing came up, I began to worry even more. What if I had done something that I couldn't remember? What if it was something horrible?

By the time that I had gotten to the library, I was shaking with worry. I was sure that my fear had a scent, and if let loose, the castles hunting dogs would be able to find me from a mile away. I tried my best to hid my concern, not wanting to give my father yet another thing to be upset about. Worry wasn't becoming to a young lady, he would say.

"We will have a visitor tonight," he said simply, his back to me.

"Yes, father."

"If all goes well, you will be married within two weeks time."

My heart stopped. "I....I'm sorry?"

"Stuttering is not becoming of a lady," he rebuked, a harshness dominantly present in his words.

"Forgive me, father. What I meant to say was, what do you mean, married?"

"Prince Alexander is of age to take over the throne. Before he may, he needs a wife."

"Prince Alexander, the grandson of Ella Charming?" I questioned in disbelief.

"I'm not familiar with any other Alexanders of the royal line, are you?"

I felt my cheeks grow hot, thankful that he had kept his back to me all this time. "No, father."

"You should feel honored that he chose you. There are many other very promising choices that he could have picked. Your sister, Vivian, for example."

I could feel tears prick the corners of my eyes as he spoke of Vivian. I knew that he favored my sister more than me, but that didn't make the sting any less whenever he mentioned it. "I suppose you're right."

"Of course I'm right," he snorted. "Now, go get ready. He'll be here at dusk."

I gazed out one of the long windows in the room, noting the high, afternoon sun, and the fact that it was nowhere near dusk. "Yes, father."

As I started to walk out, he called my name. I turned around to find him staring at me, an icy look in his stone-cold eyes. "This is a very good opportunity for you, Lara. Don't ruin it."

I wasn't able to speak, so I simply nodded, hoping the gesture of respect would suffice. I concluded that it did as he went back to studying the portrait above the mantle, not another word said.

I made my way up to my room, my silent footsteps carrying me swiftly up the rounded staircase. Once I found my solitude, I allowed myself to breath. The impending marriage was forgotten for a moment by my father's cold face that had been permanently etched into my face. I had wished for so long that he would look at me, that he would want me as much as my sister. But, I never wished he would look at me like that. A look of distaste, of hatred, of contempt.