CHAPTER- 30

THE ENGAGEMENT PARTY (PART 1)

Jade straightened her dress once again and ran her fingers through her open hair.

"Jade you look perfect!" Exclaimed Nicole who had entered the party with her.

Jade had been fidgeting with her dress and hair every two seconds.

She looked nervous and she kept wringing her hands.

"I know. Sorry. I'm just....." Jade started saying.

"Extremely nervous." Nicole finished the sentence for her.

"Yes."

Nicole laughed at the pained look on Jade's face.

She was looking beautiful in the black sleeveless dress.

"Nicky... Come here. Steve wants to talk to you." Jason said coming towards where they both were standing.

He had been pulled away by an excited and kind of nervous Steve as soon as the three of them walked into the party.

Nicole turned to Jade with a questioning glance.

"Go. I'll be fine! Don't worry." Jade said.

"You sure?"

Jade smiled, "I'll be fine! Go! Jason take her."

Nicole walked away with Jason while Jade went deeper into the room.

The room was crowded with people standing in groups chatting while sipping from their glasses.

She noticed Emma talking to someone. She looked beautiful in a blue dress.

She looked relaxed and laid back, completely unlike what she looked the first day they met.

Where was Alec?

She did not want to meet Alec today.

It was his party. His house. But she was going to do all she could to avoid coming face to face with him.

She started looking at people around her, smiling at the people she knew.

Suddenly she heard someone clear their throat from behind her.

She turned around, to see Matt standing opposite her.
.................

Matt was standing behind her, a smile on his face and his hands shoved in the pockets of his dark blue trousers.

"Hi! What are you doing here?" Then she realised how she sounded, "Sorry that sounded rude."

Matt laughed, "No it didn't. Emma called me and invited me to the party."

"Emma? How does she have your number?"

Why had Emma called Matt for the engagement party even though they barely knew each other?

"Well you gave her the number." He replied simply, "You look gorgeous by the way."

But the compliment didn't register in Jade's mind, "I didn't give her your number. I would remember if I had."

"Well you gave my number to Nicole, didn't you?"

Jade nodded, "Yes but that was ages back."

"Yeah... So Nicole gave the number to Jason, Jason gave it to Steve. Then Steve gave my number to Julia, she gave it to Mrs Carter and then Mrs Carter gave it to Emma. That's how she got my number."

"So how does that mean I gave her your number?" Jade asked with a confused look.

"Transitivity!"