The Second and Third of Five

A Couple Million or so Years Ago - Somewhere a little less Deep in the Abyss

With Bloodletter on my belt, I turned to the dark forests and began to make my way through them. I didn't really know where I was going, but I felt confident enough to walk along in my human form. At this point, I was wearing the simple studded leather armor that Syl had given me yesterday. Every now and then, I would turn to my demon form and run to cover more ground faster. Sometimes, I would walk in human form just so I could play music to myself. I was learning on making the mental music while in human form. It was multi-tasking with my head. Which it turned out that I was very good at.

Only a few demons approached me on my travels. I killed most, questioned some more, and eventually found out that there was a demonic city on this layer of the Abyss, and I was headed right for it. I gorged myself on each victim, just for the pleasure of it. My journeys and killings lasted about ten to fifteen days. I didn't really know, for it was difficult to tell the time of day through the thick foliage of the trees. I could have flown up above the canopy, but then I would have had to deal with the arboreal and aerial demons that most likely inhabited that part of the forest.

So, I headed for the city of 'Meyliski' which was said to be ruled by the Mad'lian Mafia. I didn't think too much of this fact until I reached the city. Ten miles in every direction from the city, the great trees had been reduced to mear stumps. It was a terrible site of over-logging. The lifelessness of the ground, and the murdered trees filled me with a pleasant joy. It was hard not to enjoy death, for the last few days I had been revelling in its fruits and gorging myself on its becomings.

A smoke drifted over the grounds of the deforested areas, and the skies had above had turned to a smoky gray and black. It was obvious that my journeys would lead to a capital of industry. As I walked through the small path that divided field of cut trees from field of cut trees, I glimsped shadow demon after shadow demon drifting amongst the black smog that enveloped the harvest-lands.

I was stopped, about a mile outside the dark walls of the citadel, by a band of shadow demons. Shadow demons aren't just wraith-like beings. They come in many forms, usually aerated versions of another type of demon, but as shadow/smoke. The band of three (who had humanoid shapes) stopped me and drew black, glistening weapons.

The middle wraith carried a large staff, that glowed with a deep purple. I changed instantly back to my demon form, and flared my wings in defense. The wraiths did not seem amused, and the first one raised his staff to me.

I stepped back, and while on my toes the staff let out a sharp blast of energy. It hit me and sent me sprawling back. But I had been taught; I used the energy of the blast to bounce back up on my feet and into the air. Syl had taught me how to fly, and use my flaming wings to an even better advantage.

The two shadow demons armed with swords flew up into the air. It didn't concern me that they could fly. The only thing that worried me was the extent of power in that staff of theirs. The demons came at me from both sides, and I dropped from the sky to avoid them

I came down hard on the wraith with the staff. The demon thrust said staff into my chest, and as I was ripping at its shadows with my claws, it let loose another blast of energy and tossed me over the stumps of trees. I landed on one of the stumps and once again bounced to my feet. My chest hurt though, and when I looked down I could see burn marks from the energy over my flames.

I growled, and as the two demons with swords were coming down upon me, I sprayed fire at them. The fire caused the air to light up, and the shadow demons almost instantly scattered. I was surprised, but after a few thoughts it made sense. Fire made light. Light was the opposite of shadow demons.