Her Face

Young Cameron's POV
------------------------------
I got up out of my bed. I knew I was supposed to rest, but my scar was itchy and I got bored so I wanted to move around.

"Making the rounds, Dr. Goodkin?"

"My scar is itching. I can't sleep. Just thought I'd walk a little.

"Well, you know it's against the rules. Just stay in the hall."

"Okay. Thanks, nurse."

"You're welcome, doctor."

I meant to walk to Ms. Alliward's room, second to last door on the left, but I saw this little girl with blonde hair with her mom and dad. She was really pretty.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm painting my mother's nails. This way, when she wakes up, she'll be happy."

"What's wrong with her?"

"We got in a car crash, but it's gonna be okay. Why are you here?"

"I had heart surgery. I'm better now, but... I'm not supposed to get too excited."

"I'm sorry about your heart."

"I'm sorry about your mom."

"It's okay. My dad has an idea to help her. He's really smart."

"Hey. It's going to be fine. Your dad's really smart, remember? What's your name?"

"Kirsten."

"I'm Cameron. Your mom's going to be okay, Kirsten. Trust me."

"Thank you, Cameron"

I ran to my room and went in my trunk of stuffed animals and toys. I found the little brown bear my dad gave to me because he thought I was going to pass away. I ran back to Kirsten's room and gave it to her.

"Here, give this to your mom. That way she'll be even more happier."

Kirsten jumped in my arms and hugged my tight. Man, I really had a crush on her. Two weeks later I was out of recovery and Kirsten started coming over to my house. She asked a lot of questions, but I didn't care. Her questions were cool.

"So what do you want to do when you grow up?" asked Kirsten.

"I want to be either a scientist or a person who doesn't have a job and just helps people. I like making people happy. It makes me happy."

Right then Kirsten kissed me on my cheek. My cheeks grew red. When she left my house that day, I had a warm buzzy feeling. I asked my mom what it was. She told me it was love. Love? I didn't know what that was, but I liked it. Every night since then I would always say, "I love, love.". I could never go to sleep without saying it.