Chapter 19

I stir slightly and a pain shoots through my body causing me to scream in misery. It felt as if every bone in my body had been broken and was healing themselves slowly.

Down the hallway multiple footsteps can be heard. The door busts open and there stands three very concerned people.

"Skye, your awake." Vincent's voice is barely above a whisper. He comes in and sits on the edge of my bed, yet the girls stay in the doorway. I train my eyesight onto Des. She had a bandage on her collar area, as well as her hand.

"Princess..." My voice trails off as she hangs her head and walks out of the room. I move to get up and follow her, but Vince's firm grip stops me.

"Let her be. There is a lot she must now accept, and even more for us to discuss."

I look at him quizzically but his expression is unreadable. Nodding my head, I lean back against the pillow and my eyes grow heavy with sleep.

The last thing I remember before falling into unconsciousness again is a pair of soft lips pressing themselves to my forehead and the words I'd wished to never hear: Good bye.

_

I was out for two days. When I awoke it was to an empty room. Where was Des?

Struggling to stand up, I succeed after a lot of stumbling and knees buckling. Clinging to the wall for support I make my way from the room and into a hall way. I get as far as three steps before I collapse onto the floor again.

Knowing that it would be no use, I give up and lie there. I hope someone finds me soon, I'd hate to go looking like I'm staring in a Life Alert commercial. Sometimes, even vampires fall and can't get up.

"Skye," says a deep voice tinged with surprise and maybe a little concern. It was hard to tell when the only thing on my mind was blood.

I try to lift my head in response to my name but it's to heavy to move. Someone presses what I hope is a straw in my mouth. "Drink," the voice commands, I do as I'm told.

The cold rich liquid cascades over my taste buds making them explode in pleasure. A small moan escapes my lips as I gulp more blood. The crimson substance that sustained my life, held so much sway on destiny.

I look up after having finished all the blood and meet the grim face of my teacher and friend- Vincent Delacroix.

_

Vince and I sat in the parlor across from each other in big comfy arm chairs. He'd caught me up on what had happened since I'd been out.

Marie had returned to the pack and told her Alpha that they were mates. Apparently this raised some controversy within the pack and now their bond is being tested.

This still didn't answer my question of what happened to me that night on the docks and where the hell Desiree was.

"Vincent," I say shaking my head. "You still haven't told me what happened to me that night. I wasn't myself. I-i was a monster."

His eyes spark with a mixture of curiosity, fear, and respect. "You were not a monster my child. It was a blessing of something beyond our touch. You transcended into what we were in the days of our glory, before we took on the form of our pray. You were granted that power to protect the one you love, I assume."

That's what we were before we evolved... It all makes sense now. Why I couldn't speak, why I was hell bent on catching my prey. We truly were predators, the things that went bump in the night. No wonder humans feared us, we were what nightmares were made of. They thought we were just fairytales, that we were make believe- they were wrong. Just as humans did, we adapted. What better way to hunt your prey than to walk alongside them in retrospect??

"Okay, I get that, but where's Des? Is she..." I trail off not being able to finish my sentence.

Vince's shoulders slump forward. "No, she isn't."

"Then where is she?!" I couldn't believe this. Why had she left me? After all I did to get her back.

"She needs time. The truth of what she has become was to much."

"What do you mean? The truth of what she's become?"

"Skye... Though you tried your hardest, you didn't get all the wolf venom from her system. When the remainder of the venom mixed with your blood, she became something unknown to the world."

I knew she was one of a kind, but not in the literal sense.

"She is a hybrid. Half wolf, half vampire."

I raise an eyebrow. "So you mean to tell me she's like Klaus from Vampire Diaries?? That's kinda hot though."

He looks at me confused. "What is Vampire Diaries?"

Shaking my head I mutter about how archaic he his.

He ignores me and continues on about my baby girl. "She still can't walk in the light of day, but that's all we know of her abilities thus far. We won't know more about her capabilities until due time."

I stare at my hands on my lap as grief pours over me. This was all my fault. I'd thrown her into this life of sin. When she needed me most I wasn't there for her.

Standing up I leave the room, Vince doesn't try to follow which I'm grateful for. Right now I need to be alone. I find my way outside onto a balcony that's over looking the hills.

Leaning on the railing, I let the tears pour. Id lost her, right when I was getting her back. Destiny wanted her, and it'd found a way to claim her as its own. I gave my life in exchange for her's, yet now she's worse off then she would have if I hadn't intervened.

Letting the sobs rack through my body I cry for the one whom holds my heart, praying that she'll one day come back to me. It wasn't my place to search for her when she wanted to be alone. I'd have to be patient and wait for her to find me.

Forcing myself, I look onto the moon and silently whisper to myself. "I lost her once, and vowed to never again. He was right though, we do live a life of blood and misery. I'm sorry. Please come back to me..."

Sighing heavily I push myself off the banister and walk into the room closing myself off from the world.

With her gone I had nothing to live for, only the thought of her someday coming home kept me going. That's all I had was my memories and photographs. They'd have to last the test of time, cause I'd die waiting on her to come home.

_

Well that's the last chapter. I wish it never had to end but this wasn't a fairytale where they lived happily ever after, it was a story about the unknown and the realness of life.

I hope you all enjoyed my story. I'm still debating if I should do an epilogue... Comment your thoughts on if I should or shouldn't. Please don't stop showing the love!!

Vote •Comment • Share • Follow