Chapter 33

*Vex* 

Driving home, I had left Noah with Audrey at the school, needing some time to talk to my mother alone. I had gotten a text from her at the end of lunch, telling me she was home the rest of the night if I wanted to stay there instead. I was still unsure as to whether I would be staying, but I needed answers... and clothes. So, reluctantly, I left Noah, getting into my truck and now, here I was, pulling into my driveway. My mothers car was parked beside mine, keeping her true to her word. With a heavy sigh, I jumped out, dragging myself to the front door and pushing it open.

Instantly, the smell of cooking food ran under my noise, causing my stomach to growl lightly. Sniffing the air, I swore I could smell garlic bread and meat. Walking into the kitchen, I saw my mom, her body rigged as she stood in front of the stove, not her usual body language. From the empty sauce containers, I knew it was another pasta night.

"Hey." I said. 

"Vex? O god, you scared me! I wasn't sure you were actually going to come over. Well, it's a good thing I made dinner." She sounded nervous, her arms holding up as she cooked. I let it go, putting it as she was nervous about why I was here... why I had avoided to come here.

"We need to talk... mom." I had to choke out the word. Standing in front of her now, I felt it harder to bury the resentment I was holding for her. Without her around, I could easily call her mom, but now, standing in front of her, I couldn't help it.

"Yeah, we do, but just stand right there." That was odd. Looking at her, it felt even stranger that she hadn't turned around yet, hadn't tried to look at me.

"Mom?" It was easier now, my instincts were taking over... protect the ones I love. "What's wrong." Her breath hitched in her throat, looking closer, I noticed that she was trembling uncontrollably. "Mom, tell me what's-" I didn't get to finish, her frightened voice broke my train of thought.

"Look down, and don't move." Slowly, my eyes traveled down to the floor, landing on the small wire that my foot had pushed forward ever so slightly. A gasp escaped my lips, tears rising to my eyes as I realized why she was staying so still.

"How?" Her head shook ever so slightly as I looked back at her.

"I went to start cooking, then suddenly I felt wire on my arms. I don't know how he set it up, but if I move, I die. If you move, especially now, I die." Shaking my head a little, I looked back at the wire touching my leg, a few tears running down my face.

"But the wires, they can't hurt you can they? This could just be some trick, to scare me." Her head shook once more.

"I don't know honey, but, what I need you to do... do you have your phone?" Slowly reaching into my pocket, I pulled out my phone, unlocking it. "Yeah." I whispered.

"Call the Hudson." I didn't even have to listen, my fingers moved over the touch pad easily, dialing Sheriff Hudson before I pulled the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" His gruff voice answered. 

"Sheriff, please come quick! It's Vex Wilson, my mom... the killer set up some kind of trap. I need help quickly!" I heard the sound of frantic feet shuffling, a door being open and finally, Sheriff Hudson yelling.

"All officers head to Wilson house! This is an emergency!" There was no code in his words, nothing but pure order. Sounds of yelling could be heard but Hudson's voice filled my ear.

"We're on our way. Don't move." A nervous chuckle escaped as I looked back down at the wire. 

"Wouldn't dream of it."

<><><><><>

It didn't take long for the sirens to stop in front of our house. I hadn't moved a muscle, but for my mom, it was harder. Her arms were shaking frantically as she tried so hard to hold still.