The Big Shift

Chapter 17: The Big Shift

"Yes," Lorelei replied with a small laugh.

"But how in the bloody hell do you know how to do that?!" Seamus asked, jumping to his feet.

"It's something my friends and I at Sawyer were researching 4th year. Just to see how it was done. I decided I wanted to try it. So I did. I studied for a year and a half, and with Gramma Belle's help, I finished it. I'm registered with the American Ministry. I don't shift much."

"Why do you call it shifting?" Ginny asked.

"That is just what Sarah Grace calls it." she replied. "It just kinda stuck with us."

Lorelei looked at Seamus who was still staring at her. "I wasn't going to say anything while I was here. Hermione already felt liked I stole her thunder when I got here. I don't want her to think that I am trying to out do her. I count her as a friend, And I would really like her to stay my friend. I have a feeling having a friend like her will be pertinent."

"But this is so cool!" Ginny said giving Lorelei a big smile.

Seamus still looked shocked. "Do it again," he said with a smile.

Lorelei transfigured again. She sat as a small tabby looking at him. She bumped her head against his leg, and rubbed her side against him. She sat on her haunches and meowed at him.

"Okay, I can't kiss you while you're a cat. Could you change back please?" he laughed.

She changed back to her normal form. "Why do you want to kiss me Mr. Finnigan?"

"Because you're brilliant, and I am so glad that you are mine."

Ginny groaned as Seamus pulled Lorelei towards him and kissed her. He broke away laughing. "I don't want to hear anything from you, Weasley. First I had to see you and Thomas snogging all over the place, now it's you and Potter.

Ginny blushed, "Yeah, well things change." She looked at Lorelei and asked, "But how are you going to use your ability to get any information?"

"That is easy. I am going to sneak into the Slytherin common room as a cat and spy on them. I will spend all weekend in there if I have to."

"Don't spend all weekend Miss Ward. I need you to sneak into my dorm as a cat. When I pull the curtains closed around my bed, you can change back into your normal form." Seamus was laughing as his cheeks flushed.

"Fat chance. There is a prefect in that dorm!" she laughed at him. "Could you imagine McGonnagal's face if I got caught?"

Laughing they went back to the common room. Seamus was wondering aloud where the Slytherins common room might be.

"I can just ask Harry," Ginny said.

"How would he know?" Lorelei asked.

"He and Ron sneaked in once, 2nd year. Harry told me not too long ago. They used polujuice potion to get in."

Lorelei laughed. " Seriously? Okay, well be casual about it. Don't make it obvious, I don't want anyone to know what we are up to."

"No problem, I'll find out tomorrow." Ginny replied.

The next day, Ginny slipped a small piece of parchment into Lorelei's hand at dinner. It only had one sentence on it.

Far left dungeon corridor.

Saturday morning after breakfast, she told Seamus goodbye in an empty corridor. She transfigured into the tabby cat and wandered off towards the dungeons. She prowled along and when a group of young Slytherins walked past her, she followed closely behind.