Chapter Eight

I knew I had to say something – just standing there with my jaw on the floor and my heart in my mouth wasn’t the best impression to be leaving anybody with – and from the corner of my eye, I could see Sue looking at me a little more than confused.

But I couldn’t take my eyes off him.

With London’s skyline as his frame – his body encased in a sleek dark tailored suit with a pale blue shirt that matched his eyes perfectly – feet crossed at the ankles as he smirked over at me, he looked almost like a king.

Power emanated from his features – lips twisted into a sardonic smile and his eyes never once left mine – that ice blue boring right into me.

“Good morning, Mr. Gates,” I replied breathlessly, deciding not to go with the oh fuck why is this happening to me line that was running through my head like an autocue.

He cocked his head to the side, amusement dancing in his eyes, which only served to rile me further, to be honest. I don’t know what it is about this man that has every response becoming so much more defined and prominent in his presence – physically and emotionally, I was battling him – I always am.

“Sue here has been telling me what an asset you’ll be,” he murmured, “For the company.”

I didn’t miss the hitch in that sentence – the innuendo he was cloaking from his Head of PR.

“I most certainly hope so,” I knew he could hear the faint twinge of nervousness in my voice – as well as the sarcastic bite in response to his double meaning – and my eyes flicker over to Sue for a little ... support or something, I think.

I needed her to speak out – take control of the situation – leaving my role in this conversation as no more than a puppet – nodding blindly along with every word she said. But, of course, nobody takes the control away from Mr. Cayden Gates – hadn’t I realised that by this point?

“Sue,” he started briskly – turning his entire attention to the other woman, “Ask Tiffany to clear my morning schedule – I’d like to properly discuss the company Mission Statements and specific proposals with Miss Garrett.”

My eyes darted back to his calculating face nervously. This couldn’t be a good sign.

Why the hell did this have to be happening to me at all?

Fucking Ryan!

My mind wandered briefly to his odd reaction in the cafe this morning – could this be what he’d meant? Had he known Cayden was to be my boss? He could have fucking warned me rather than just spouting out random nonsense!

Sue looked over to me with a confused but genuinely encouraging smile – no doubt wondering why Mr. Gates himself would be initiating me into the company. With a quick, and efficient nod, she was gone.

And I was once alone with Cayden Gates.

The world’s sexiest jigsaw.