Chapter 2

Vanessa slid the last of the pins into Vicky's hair and pulled the veil into place. "I really don't know about this." She shifted the beaded material around so it hung correctly.

Vicky turned to look at herself in the mirror. "It's horrible." She groaned and dropped her face into her hands trying not to cry.

"It's not that bad, darling." Ann tried to console her daughter. "It just needs..." Fluffing out the edge of the veil, she tried to think of something to suggest. The veil was beautiful, but it clashed horribly with the dress. "Something." She finished unsure what it needed.

"To be killed with fire." Vicky practically sobbed, ripping the veil from her head. This was supposed to be her perfect day and it was turning into hell. She had started the day by throwing up before she had even gotten out of bed. It was a good thing she had started sleeping the wastebasket by the bed. Zak had tried to comfort her, but her nerves were stretched so far she had snapped at him when he wouldn't stop petting her. The hellhound had backed off to give her space, but he refused to let her out of his sight.

Ann carefully took the fragile headdress from Vicky before she could sling it across the room. "Maybe we should try something else." She studied the spider silk dress Vicky had donned. The fitted bodice with its v neck front and low back flowed down into pools of white that glittered like moonlight on fresh snow. "I think flowers would work better than this." She placed the veil safely on the dressing table that had been brought into the area set aside for Vicky. "Beth." She turned to the younger woman. "Come, help me gather some roses from the centerpieces on the tables. If we take one from each table, we should have enough for a crown without hurting the arrangements."

Beth nodded and followed the woman towards the main room. "Maybe we could get some baby's breath and some of those little daisies."

"That's a good idea." The two women slipped out through the break in the curtain that divided this room from the rest of the warehouse.

"I think I'm going to throw up." Vicky hissed as her stomach rolled, showing its unhappiness.

Vanessa placed her hand on the back of Vicky's neck and forced her to bend over. "Just breathe." She said as Maggie grabbed the trash can and pulled it over to Vicky's side.

Zak whined and rubbed against Vicky's leg.

"I should have just gotten plastered with the rest of you last night." Vicky griped. "Then I could at least have a reason for feeling like crap today!"

Shushing her softly, Vanessa rubbed her back trying to ease the tension in her friend. "It's just nerves." She reassured Vicky. "Just relax and breathe, everything will be all right." Looking up, she caught Maggie's attention. "Can you get her some more ginger ale?"

Maggie nodded and went to get the half empty bottle waiting by the dressing table.

"I don't want any more ginger ale!" Vicky snapped as she surged up from her seat away from her worried friend. Her anger took her the length of the room. "I want this to be over with!" She clutched at her stomach where it rolled again. "I should've just run off with Darien when he suggested it." Pivoting on her heel, she stormed back through the small space. "We could have hit Gatlinburg or Vegas and been done with this whole damn thing." An idea hit her and joy flashed across her face. "That's it!" She turned towards the part in the curtain. "I'll get Darien and we can just sign the damn papers and be done with this."

"Oh no you don't!" Vanessa grabbed her by the arm and turned her around. "Think about all of the people that came out today to watch you get married. You can't just leave them hanging like that."