Prologue

I'd like to let you in on a little well-known but severely ignored secret; the world is not black and white— no, that is a very simple way of looking at the whole world, and dumbing it all down into two categories. This is what the narrow-minded think, to allow themselves a faux sense of comfort. And their comfort, in turn, allows them liberty to ignorance, and makes it very easy for them to herd everyone else into these two categories; black and white— the bad and the good.

The world was the canvas of the gods, and I believe they had a spectacular array of colors to choose from when they painted it in; the vivid greens and muted browns of the Earth, the sparkling blues of the seas and the skies, the harrowing oranges and reds of the Fires. But when it came to humankind and the colors of their morality, they chose only three shades; black, white... and gray.

And these colors represent the three kinds of people. I say this with a lot of confidence and belief, because in my albeit short life, I have managed to meet all three kinds; the good, the bad, and the conflicted.

First and foremost, there's the good people; the ones painted with shades of white, the ones who do the right things— come Hell or high water, these are the one who are always looking on the bright side of things— despite how extremely self-righteous it makes them. They also happen to be the ones who, at the end of the day, somehow prevail. Someone once told me that, 'Good always wins— and if it hasn't, then it simply is not the end yet' and I have not heard truer words since.

Then there's the second kind, the bad people; they are painted in repelling shades of darkness, because that is what they carry inside of them— utter darkness and chaos. They are the ones mothers tell their children to stay away from. Legends are told about these people, and it matters not whether they prevail in those stories, or whether they meet their maker— it's all in the storytelling, really. There's not much truth to these stories anyway.

And then there's the last kind— my personal favorite, the poor, conflicted souls of the world; they're all painted is varying shades of gray. Because their moral alignment is not with the light nor the dark, they're somehow stuck in the gray areas of the world. These folks are those who never know what to do, they are the weak ones. They are easily enforced by their surroundings, and heavens forbid that they ever stand for what they believe in— most of the times, these people don't even recognize their own beliefs. They just so happen to be the ones who never had the choice to be good or bad. I think they're rather pitiful in that they were never presented with choices— the most human of things.

There's always these three kinds of people present in any situation; similarly, these three kinds were present in the Wizarding World, in the late 1970s, and early 1980s. When the first Wizarding War was fought, when Lord Voldemort initially began his heinous ascension to power.

The Good Ones; the Order of the Phoenix, the Ministry of Magic, and countless Wizards and Witches— Aurors or otherwise, who stood shoulder to shoulder, fighting the good fight— a Resistance against the tyranny of Lord Voldemort. I could name so many of them, but I shall leave that for another day.

Then there came the Dark Ones; starting with Lord Voldemort himself— an evil tyrant, a diabolical barbarian— more monster than he was ever human. He was the pinnacle of everything adverse, and his followers, the legion known as the Death Eaters, with their horrendous magicks, were just as bad as him. Numerous supernatural beings stood on the side of the Darkness, and thus rounded up the numbers of the Dark Ones quite nicely.

And at last, were the Conflicted Ones; several Wizarding families who didn't know the good from the bad, the right from the wrong, and the chaos from the peace. They were the ones who sat by idly, and did not raise a finger to aid or put a stop to Lord Voldemort's reign of terror— perhaps they were just as bad as the Dark Ones, but we'll never really know. They never truly answered the numerous questions tossed their way.

And when a decade later, the Second Wizarding War was fought the three kinds of people poked their heads through the surface again. And this time, I am standing right here, in the eye of the storm, to bear witness to it.

The Good Ones are here; the second coming of the Order of the Phoenix, the Boy Who Lived; Harry Potter, the countless Hogwartiansstudents and professors and alumni alikewho are probably preparing themselves at this very moment to become a glorious part of history whether they live to see dawn break over this world of darkness... or not.

I know the Dark Ones will be out in throes; once again Lord Voldemort is leading his armies— growing by the day, consisting of thousands of Death Eaters, numerous giants, and trolls, and werewolves, and dementors, and the Inferi, and the worst of all— the many Pureblood Wizarding families, into a raging battle against the Good Ones.

And finally, the Conflicted Ones; exactly as it was the last time, a few Wizarding families have decided to throw down arms, quietly shuffle back to the shadows until the War dies down— as if Voldemort would not flay them alive should he win. And of course, joining the ranks of the Conflicted, is the man I unfortunately love with every fiber of my being; Draco Malfoy.

Seven years have passed since the first time I met him; pale skin, silver eyes, and a smile to remember for the rest of my daysand it took me this whole time to finally realize that Draco is not a bad person, he is not a good one either. He is gray. He is conflicted, and he exists in the shadows, trying to wait out the tides. I wonder if he ever, even for a second, considered that despite the best of his efforts, the tides might wash him out... or drown him? Whatever his reasons, I'll maintain this until my dying breath; Draco Malfoy is gray, misunderstood, conflicted, and he never had a choice.

And if you don't know believe me, that's alright, not many people do. As the world arounds me spirals into chaos, teetering on the brink of utter collapse— I would like to tell you my story. And I want to do it now, and with as much detail as I can; we are mere days away from an all-out war, and I don't know whether or not I will come out of this alive— my only hope is that if I do not, then some day— years and years from now, someone will stumble across this notebook, they will read this story, and they will learn the truth.

My name is Emma Marvel, and this is my story. Allow me to take a hold of your hand, and guide you through this journey— a journey that will surely change the way you look at each and every single one of us.

Do you believe you are ready?

Then, let's beginshall we?

~*~

Hello, everyone! My name is Neera Hale, and I am thoroughly humbled that you thought my book was worth clicking on and reading, so thank you! And now that you have read the prologue and have possibly found this book interesting enough to read; here's a few things that I would like cleared and out of the way before we begin:

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of J. K. Rowling, and Warner Brothers. The original characters and plot are the property of the author of this story. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any previously copyrighted material. No copyright infringement is intended. And no profit is being made from this.

I am a huge fan of the books and the movies myself, and this book is nothing but mere fanfiction dedicated to my favorite bitch of a spoiled brat; Draco Malfoy.

This is the story of Emma Marvel and Draco Malfoy. So it yes, it does contain lots of characters from the Harry Potter books and movies, and it has several canon references/scenes/dialogues. I, again, do not intend to steal/plagiarize anything. All rights to Harry Potter belong to Joanne Rowling. All rights to original characters belong to me. Easy as it goes.

Thank you so much for paying attention and for reading, I hope you enjoy reading this book as much as I enjoyed writing it.