The Fiancé

"So we can take her home now?"
Kate asked as she flicked her right arm accidentally.

"Yes Mrs.....", Doctor Lane stopped while she stared at the documents she was holding.

"It's Mrs Davis." Kate replied seeing the confusion the doctor had.

"Of course and you're the husband?"she asked staring at the young man who had never said a word.

"Charles , fiancé if she says yes",he grinned opening a tiny black box. "She wanted a simple ring but she deserves diamonds,every one of them,"he winked at the doctor.

As much as the doctor liked his charisma, she couldn't quite figure out why the boyfriend had never visited her before, only to show up when she is ready to be discharged. The relationship must have been good if they talked about getting engaged before.

"So Charles , you've been here before, yes? I mean you're about to propose?"

"Unfortunately no.The day before the accident I had just left for Africa. I mean as much as I love her , I know she wouldn't want me to stay here for six months while kids in Africa are dying and need help,"he replied calmly.

"Aww you're a doctor?"

"No,but I just love to help. I own a few businesses."

"Okay,anyway Shona is really struggling to remember. This might be because there are things she doesn't want to remember. Some memories will come back to her on their own, some you'll have to help her. Familiar places,some of her favourite things , workplace,friends,loved ones,anything." She smiled.

"So her memory loss, what can't she seem to remember past or present?"

"She has what is similar to what we call retrograde amnesia which means she can't remember the past. Some patients its just months but for her its ten years,the last memory she has is on her 15th birthday."

"I see",Kate said quite as if she was disappointed.

"Okay,I think thats all , anyway you'll be hearing from us a lot,"she smiled.

"Can we see her?" Charles asked with his blue eyes fixed on Kate.

"Yes,can we?"

"Of course, we go this way."