III - Frustrations of the Heart

When joining Mister Ronald Lancechester in the gathering room of the manor, Broderick had been expecting only his presence, but he was not alone on this day. The nobleman was already seated at the octagonal table in the center of the room. He had a full head of light brown hair and was a handsome man in his mid-thirties, a hairless squared face untouched by time, and intelligent blue eyes were hidden under the narrow shadow of his brows . Fitted quite nicely in black and lavender suit with a white scarf coiled around his neck, the man sat with a woman with long blond locks that splayed down her thin shoulders, pretty as ever dressed in a peach cream gown and white heeled slippers. There were two children nearby as well, a young girl just eleven in a blue dress with a rather large white bow tied around her waist, hair the color of her father's that barely touched the top of her small shoulders. Stood a bit further from the family was another child, a rather small, blond twelve-year-old boy in black trouser shorts with high buckled olive green socks, dark shined shoes, and a tucked long sleeved black shirt. He stood with his back to the family, arms crossed defiantly over his small frame as if trying his hardest to block them out.

"Hello," Broderick said, entering the gathering room, making sure to keep his voice calm and welcoming. "I am glad you could make it, Sir Lancechester. How was your trip?"

The man seemed to examine the young teenager as he rose from the table, appearing a little put off by his age. "Hello, it was...just fine," he said anyway. "Forgive me, but I thought this meeting was to take place with the head of the Thorne house. I came thinking I was to see Mister Stanley Thorne, not his middle born son."

Broderick kept his composure despite the tension building in him. What truthfully was wrong with speaking to a younger lad who actually knew what he was doing? If one was to disregard Broderick's age entirely, they would confess to the well-mannered and mature young man he'd always proved himself to be. "I do apologize for the inconvenience," the Young Master said, "but my father has been away for just a short time. While he is not here, I care for all of his affairs, and I can assure you I will take care of anything that needs to be done."

Entering the room further, Broderick took a seat at the octagonal table and folded his hands properly on the surface. Before he could continue with the meeting, he was cut off when Ronald's young son said, "I do not wish to stand here any longer. Earl Thorne," he addressed Broderick, tone not too light on the attitude, "would you happen to have a library within these walls?"

"Jasper..." Ronald Lancechester gawked embarrassed at his son.

The twelve-year-old rolled his eyes, "I do not know why you dragged me here in the first place. This is the last place I would rather be. Couldn't have just left me to myself..."

When it almost looked as if Ronald Lancechester didn't know what to say next, Broderick nodded to the irritated Jasper, and said, "My family's library is just down to your left, the second strip of hall passed the parlor. I would like to think we have a rather nice selection, and you are welcome to it if you please."

Without thanking Broderick for the directions, Jasper's silhouette of blond displeasure stepped out of the gathering room, his younger sister, Beatrice, trailing not long after when her mother insisted she follow her brother. Once the Young Master and the two adults were alone, the back and forth exchange of suggestive strategies, arrangements, and organizations began. Broderick had always heard of the renowned Lancechester's. Anyone who knew anything at all about the history of these English lands were familiar with the family and their capabilities, their influence, immensely deep pockets, and most of all, their origin.

Although most talk of Lancechester's was word of mouth, it was said their family long ago had been a major hand in the past Queen Elizabeth I's military and counsel, giving them such high favor and reverence through many regions and generations, and still today they carried themselves as admirably, always sure to keep the mere strength of their given name strong with honor. If anything, Broderick figured this was the closest he would ever get to royal blood.