Don't Fear The Reaper

Hi this is just a short story I wrote for my Expressive Arts GCSE exam (Which is like a mix of art, drama, music, creative writing, film, dance etc basically you are given a theme and make something creative) The theme of this was 'Supernatural' (or maybe it was Paranormal i cant remember the exact word) But yeh so I spent ages attempting to think of something and started watching the show Supernatural for ideas....best decision and worse decision i'm now obsessed and dying wait for the new series oh my feels...but yeh i really loved the whole horsemen thing in series 5 so i decided to do my own twist on the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse! My final piece included drawings to go with this in a book however of course i can't have them on here. But yeh, I am pretty proud of this so i thought i may as well upload it! Never uploaded anything that isn't fanfics before so yeh...I hope you like it! If so please do vote and comment it would mean the world to me! :) 

****

Don't Fear The Reaper

"When the Lamb broke the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, "Come." I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beats of the earth"

Revelation 6:7-8

******

Death - a thing of which all the living have a shared fear; a fear of the end, of simply ceasing, a fear of the darkness beyond life. Yet, in reality, there is no need to be afraid of me; we are not much different, you and I. We all have our roles to play, and we all have our choices to make, and I am nothing if not reasonable. I bring down the curtain on many lives each day to allow room for the new. And the world revolves around change and renewal – frankly without me the whole system would fall apart.

In a short time you will call this the 'war to end all wars'. How misguided you are. You will mourn each small life I have claimed in its name, but in truth this war is nothing special, apart from the scale – that's a little grand I'll grant you; but it's not really that different from those that have gone before, and of course it won't be the last. If anything is certain in this world it is that humanity will always diligently heed the call of War, and I will be left with the allocating and the cataloguing – the paperwork, if you will.

Out of all those with whom I'm forced to work, I must say I find War the most disagreeable. He takes tremendous, childlike joy in sparking the smallest thing into a bloodbath without a second's thought to all the extra, unnecessary work it brings me. It's not as if the living, as a community,don't spend such a lot of time dying anyway without his involvement.

Oh no, look; talk of the Devil (not literally obviously, I try to keep away from him – people assume we get on famously but we really don't). That's him, War. I'd know that jaunty swagger-amongst-the-suffering anywhere. He's loving all this. Time for a hasty exit. Oh, Lucifer's breath! He's seen me.

****

A middle aged man in a Major's uniform, slim and smart, moved briskly along the line.

"Coo-ee. Death! Ah, Death! Fancy seeing you here" the soldier said, sarcastically. "Come, join me." he said, beckoning the hooded figure into a small alcove. Death sighed; his opportunities for a swift exit had been limited and now he was trapped.

"Must I get into that cramped little space with you?" Death asked. "I'm rather busy, as you might imagine".

"Yes you must, because they can see me out here." War said, nodding to a group of men cowering a little way along the trench that were giving him odd glances, "And as they can't see you, I can't have it said I've gone as mad as Kitchener's poodle, talking to myself!" retorted War before sighing dramatically. "I do not understand why you keep forgetting that."