Letter III

Dear whoever,

It was a week after my realisation that I made my escape. My plan was good. On the Sunday my family would leave the house for church and would order for me to clean the house as their gone.
Churches in my hometown were always long and would go on for at least 4 hours.

The moment they left, I packed my few clothes in an empty rice bag. Throwing a small bag of left over rice my parents ate the day before. They gave it too me as they thought I deserved a reward.

On the Friday a old chief came. My parents greeted him deeply, my dad kneeling and my mother kneeling. He entered the house and sat on the sofa smiling. What he said netted surprised everyone He first asked for me. It was surprising because my parents never take me anywhere with them, for him to remember my existence made me feel weird as I was a acknowledged by someone.

I should've know that that was suspicious. No one ever remembered me. There must've been something that made him remember. And there was, Which I found out a few moments later.
He then told me to sit next to him. My eyes widened. I glanced at my parents who held a straight expressionless face and my dad finally jerked his head towards the spot next to him. I couldn't hold my smile as I walked over to him, I was my first time sitting on the sofa, I felt elated. As the adults spoke I felt his hand reach behind my and the touched my shoulder, bringing me close to him. It slowly began to drop down to my loose breast and he began to fondle it as he spoke to my father about the village and problem. My eyes widened and I stared at my parents. My parents saw and did not say anything and allowed him to continue.

I remember how I felt at that moment: anger and disgust that my parents would allow this to happen. First that monster now him. Who else would they let abuse me? All i could do was to close my eyes, pray he does not want more and wish or it to be over.

Clearly feeling at least bad for why they condoned their let me have a cup of rice instead of a hand full as I'm normally allowed.

Taking a piece of string from the kitchen I tied the bag before entering my parents room. Opening their wardrobe I searched for the loose notes of money on the base of the wardrobe. Taking one I hoped that they didn't notice before I ran out of the house.

I don't remember how long I walked, I just kept on going as I wanted to put as much distance between me and them.

*

Sound of of cries filled the air as I stumbled on the hot sand. I focused on my walking summoning all my will strength to keep me up right.
Left foot, right foot.

The smell of spicy meat, suya, and fish clashed invading my sense of smell.
Left foot, right foot.

My toes felt the heated sand and screamed in agony from the burns that formed.
Left foot, right foot.

My only skirt that I wore on that day flew up as the hash wind hit the old calico that it was made from.
Left foot, right foot.

The dress was short, green and mid thigh long that was the best gift I had got for Christmas two years earlier.
Left foot right foot.

But I should've thought that giving a 12 year old girl something that short and light and see through was perverted. Everything that old man gave me was always twisted as he had to process it in his insane mind. I dragged my left foot forward, but then as my right followed the ground gave up on me and growled, causing to me fall on the floor. I fell face first on the sand and felt the burning sand come in contact with my face causing me to whimper when memory of the pan of heated oil falling over me made me shivered. Even though it happened half a decade ago at that time . It was a lesson to never disobey mother dear.

I do not remember how long I laid on the floor but I'll I could think about was that I had failed. I would be found.

I still cry myself to sleep remembering this event. This event that was too traumatising for a young child to go through with this.

Ida