Chapter 14 ~ Athelas

The next morning I awake to see the dwarves stirring and grabbing nearby weapons. I didn't remember much of what had happened after I started drinking but apparently nothing bad had. I smile as I stretch out my body before climbing to my feet. I ruffle my hair as I turn to see the sun peeking out over the mountain and smile. Our quest was almost over. "Come along Randír," I hear Thorin say and turn to see the dwarves now leaving the mansion. I give him a quick nod before slowly following after them. The people crowd along the sides of the main channel as a boat is loaded with supplies for us to take to the mountain.

"You do know we're one short; where's Bofur?" Bilbo asks Thorin and I look around as he replies, "If he's not here, we leave him behind."

"We have to, if we're to find the door before nightfall. We can risk no more delays." Balin says as they continue to march along the pier and the dwarves begin to board the boat. They are fully decked out in armor and regal clothing. Thorin stops Kili before he can get in the boat, "Not you. We must travel with speed, you will slow us down." I stop and walk over to Kili as he smiles, thinking Thorin is joking. "What are you talking about? I'm coming with you."

"No." Thorin says and Fili, already in the boat, turns and looks at Thorin and Kili. "I'm going to be there when that door is opened, when we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin." Kili says and I gently place a hand upon his shoulder. "Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed." Thorin orders as he lays his hand on Kili's other shoulder and smiles at him, but Kili looks shocked and betrayed. Thorin turns to board the boat. Kili turns away. Oin gets out of the boat. "I'm staying with Kili," I say making Thorin turn toward me about to argue but instead nods as Oin says, "I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded."

"Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You can't take that away from him!" Fili says making me look toward him. I look back down as Oin is examining Kili, but Kili is trying to pull away from him. I smack him on the arm as I say, "Knock it off."

"Fili." Thorin says ready to argue but Fili cries out, "I will carry him, if I must!"

"One day you will be king, and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf, not even my own kin." Fili looks at Kili, and then steps out of the boat. Thorin tries to stop him. "Fili, don't be a fool. You belong with the Company."

"I belong with my brother." Fili pulls away from Thorin and goes to join Kili, Oin, and I. The musicians of Laketown play their instruments as the Master climbs up to a raised platform. I rub my forehead as the horrible sounds from the brass instruments causes a throbbing in my head. The Master waves, and the people cheer and clap. I kneel down before Kili as the Master addresses the people. "...Bring good fortune to all!" Is all I catch of the masters speech but I look up to see him smile and wave to the dwarves in the boat as they pull into the canal and begin to paddle away. Kili looks on miserably from the dock.

Suddenly Bofur pushes his way through the townspeople and reaches the water, only to find the boat of dwarves far off down the canal. He turns and finds Kili, Fili, Oin, and myself and smirks as he says, "Ah! So you missed the boat as well?" I shake my head at him but then Kili moans in pain and begins to fall over, but Fili catches him. "Kili? Kili!" Fili cries out making my heart clench. Oin tries to examine him. "We have to get him off his feet." I say and I stand up and start asking people for help but find that none will. I turn back to them and say, "We only have one last shot, I hope he helps us."

Bard opens his door and glancing at us says, "No. I'm done with dwarves. Go away." He tries to slam the door shut, but Bofur stops it with his foot. "No, no, no! No one will help us; Kili's sick. He's very sick." Bard sees Kili being supported by Oin and Fili; he looks extremely sick. Bard hesitates but eventually gives in.