Chapter 1

Dipper's P.O.V.

Curiosity. That's what brought me here in the first place. I was on a simple drive to visit my sister when I first spotted the town of Gravity Falls. It seemed like an odd place, and it was nearing nightfall, so I decided to stop in town overnight. Little did I know that I would be staying here for much longer than a day.

I drove through the quiet streets of town for a few minutes before coming to a stop in front of a little diner on the side of the road. I glanced down slightly as I pulled into a parking spot. I sighed as I climbed out of my mud-splattered pickup truck. Not the vehicle I would have chosen, but my father insisted that I inherit it. I forced the door shut and approached the front door of the diner.

I walked in cautiously, earning many stares from those already seated. I attempted to avoid all eye contact and sat down in a booth at the far end of the building. A few moments later, a red-haired woman walked up to where I was sitting and began to speak to me.

"Can't say I've seen you around here before." she said casually, tucking a lock of her hair behind her ear. She pulled a small notebook and pen out of her pocket and began to write something down. "So what do you want?"

"Huh?" I tilted my head slightly in confusion. For a moment I had completely forgotten that I was in a restaurant.

"You know, to eat?" she clicked her pen rapidly, waiting for a response.

"Oh, right. One coffee, please. And a small plate of pancakes." I replied awkwardly.

"Pancakes for dinner, huh?" she smiled and chuckled slightly. "Sure thing." She walked off and turned into a room behind the counter on the other side of the room. A few moments later she returned with a small plate and mug. She placed them down gently in front of me and sat on the other side of the booth. I stared questioningly at her.

"What?" she raised her eyebrows. "Aren't you gonna eat?"

"Um..." I carefully picked up the fork on the table and began to eat.

"You're wondering why I'm sitting here, huh?" she said with a slight smirk. I nodded slowly. She responded with a laugh.

"You seemed lonely." she said. "And you're obviously from out of town. So, why'd you come to Gravity Falls? We don't get many visitors here."

"I was just passing by." I took a sip of coffee and looked over at her. "I don't have any business here, really. I just need a place to stay overnight."

"Really?" she tilted her head. "Where are you going, then?"

"I'm visiting my sister." I set down my cup. "She lives a couple hours' drive farther south from here."

"Ah, I see." she leaned back and looked out the window. "Well, if you're gonna be driving all day tomorrow, you should get to bed soon." she tore a page out of the same notebook she had earlier and began scribbling something down.

"Here." she handed it to me. There was an address on it, and underneath was a phone number and a name. "That's the address for the motel a little farther down the road. And if you need any help, there's my number." she stood up and began to walk away. I did the same. As I neared the exit, she called out to me.

"Hey, wait!" she said. "I never got your name!"

"It's Dipper." I replied quickly before stepping outside into the cool night breeze. I smiled slightly and walked over to my truck. I sat down in the driver's seat and took a deep breath. As I pulled out of the parking lot, I glanced down at the paper the woman had given me. I laughed softly to myself as I drove down the road.

"Wendy, huh?" I said quietly.

(A/N: I bet you all saw that one coming. This chapter didn't have a lot going on, but you always gotta set up a foundation for the plot first, kids! There will definitely be more plot soon! Hope you guys enjoy! -Knight)