Chapter 22 - Sam

I sat on the bench beneath the large oak tree, pulling my jacket closer around me. It was mid-November, and there was already frost on the ground. It crunched under my feet as I shuffled them back and forth, trying to get the circulation moving again.
"Cold, darling?" I heard from above me. I looked up to see the Cheshire Cat, lounging on his back on one of the larger branches of the tree.
"Yes, so could you please get down her? I want to get this over with."
He sighed and jumped from the tree, landing gracefully on his feet. Sitting on the bench next to me, he stretched his legs out. He gave me a mischievous smile.
"So, why are we here?"
"You said you have an answer to my problem."
"Ah, yes. So, you want to get back to Wonderland."
I nodded, and opened my mouth to speak, but he kept going before I could.
"I'm willing to help you. I can even take you straight back to Hatters doorstep. There's just one little thing I need from you."
I inwardly groaned. I knew this was too easy. "What is it?"
He smiled at me again. "All I need from you, darling, is a little time."
"Time?' I asked cautiously. Something about his smile, about the way he spoke, put me on edge. My head told me to run in the opposite direction of the half-man sitting in front of me. But my heart told me he could take me to Hatter, to stay put. As always, I didn't listen to my head.
"Yes," he continued. "Time. You see, Hatter had fallen head over heels in love with you. That's why he sent you back here. But, what I want to know is, how far does that love go? I want to see if he loves you enough to save you."
"I...I don't understand."
"Well, it's quite simple, really. You just have to sit there and look pretty. I'll send Hatter notes and clues. I want to see how long it will take him to find you, if he decides to go after you at all. But don't worry, if it takes to tong, I'll call the whole thing off." As if sensing my apprehension, he went on. "Just think of it as a game."
"What if I don't want to be a pawn in your little game?" I asked the Cat. I knew there was something he wasn't telling me about his plan, and it put me on edge.
He laughed a dark, menacing laugh. "What makes you think you have a choice? You can either meet me here at midnight tonight willingly, or when you wake up tomorrow morning, I'll have taken you by force."
I watched as he started to disappear. I felt a tear slip out of my eye and down my cheek. For some reason, I felt like the Cat was lying. And I knew something bad would come out of it. When he was gone, I rushed back to Angie's house. She dropped me off at my house, and I rushed inside.
When the tears finally started flowing, I crawled into bed, falling asleep not long after, thoughts of a mad hatter I knew in my mind.

}*y