Part 2: Immure [FINAL]

You woke at dawn to the usual sounds of the barracks rising around you, but instead of opening your eyes to the sight of the top bunk hanging dangerously low above your head, you were instead met with open space extending up to an unfamiliar, sun-streaked ceiling. You panicked, casting your eyes around the room before you remembered the events of the night before. Suddenly wide awake, you turned to the body beside you in the narrow bed.

There was barely an inch of space between you and Erwin, though not once during the night had you felt so much as the brush of air when he moved, each and every one of his actions perfectly controlled, even in sleep. Even now, awake and watching you with a peculiar look on his face, he was careful to keep his distance – or as much distance as the limited space would allow. You could not help but feel a rush of gratitude toward him. Not many men would be so respectful.

Your face suddenly flushed with red as you realised your current situation. "Uh... Good morning, Commander..."

He said nothing, his eyes fixed on your face, tracing the line of your brow, your jaw, your lips. His face was unreadable, his expression closed and his eyes held an unfamiliar emotion. You squirmed under his gaze.

"Do... Do I have bed hair or something?" You self-consciously combed your fingers through your hair to tame it, but still you received no answer.

"Commander?"

He shook his head, seeming to come to his senses, though his eyes never left you. "Ah, it's not that..." he said, his voice strained, the words sticking in his throat. "You're just... Beautiful."

You were shocked into silence, your pulse quickening as the inch of space between the two of you rapidly disappeared. He kissed you, long and hard and you were surprised to find yourself kissing him back. When you broke apart, gasping for breath, he cupped your cheek gently.

"My Nightingale, I need you. Will you stay with me? Forever?"

That was the beginning.

The following weeks were filled with secret kisses and stolen moments. Neither of you voiced the need for your relationship to remain hidden, but you both understood the necessity. However, these moments grew less frequent as the next expedition beyond the walls drew closer and both your time was occupied elsewhere with the preparations. Still, you made it a priority to always meet Erwin in his chambers after lights out and sing for him, before falling asleep in his arms. No one questioned where you had been disappearing to each night. They all assumed that you, like the rest of them, simply could not sleep in the face of the rapidly approaching expedition, but the truth was, in those weeks you had never slept better.

In those few weeks, there were things you learned about him that bothered you. Small things, like his apparent lack of scent. When he was in bed, he smelled of fresh linen. When he was in the stables, he smelled of straw. And when he was with you, you could smell your own scent on him, but they never seemed to stick. You thought it strange, but you put it out of your mind and decided to enjoy what scarce moments you could with him. Despite your misgivings, he was still the perfect gentleman.

The night before the expedition, you met Erwin as usual, though he seemed different that night. He was lost in deep thought, his face as unreadable as ever. The expedition is tomorrow, you thought. He must have so much on his mind... But when he turned to you, it was clear it was not the expedition that plagued him.

"[Name], has anyone else heard you sing?"

You thought for a moment. "I don't think so..."

"Good." His tone was harsh, urgent. "Keep it that way. I want you all to myself."