Chapter 27- Funeral Friend

Riding my bike had become something normal for me, sure it took longer to get everywhere but i guess the exercise is good for me right? I was riding my green beach cruiser down the way; heading to Stephen's house. My chestnut brown hair was being blown fiercely backwards as I pedaled down the street. Only wearing shorts, a tank top, and white lace-up Keds it felt amazing. California springs and summers generally feel good but can get towards too 100° F.. But, having grown up in Arizona 100°F was still pretty good. It's been a whole month since daddy's passing; you know how people say "it'll only hurt for a little bit"? Yeah well it still hurts just as much as it did initially. My dad was my best friend and losing him meant I lost a part of myself. I've tried getting back into a routine recently but every little thing reminds me of him.

Talking to the guys has become a "whenever I have time" thing. And honestly, I feel awful about it, I always have time I just never want to. I know that sounds bad, that's because it is bad, but the thing is they remind me of my dad too. They didn't know my dad well and they only met him a couple times but each of then has a characteristic that is just like him. Liam is protective and seemingly innocent like him (notice I said seemingly innocent). Louis is sassy like him. Niall had the same infinite appetite like him. Harry is cunning like him. And Zayn is just as stubborn add my dad is- or was, I guess. Now, I haven't completely shut them out. I do still talk to them, it's just not the same as it was before.

Speaking of- my phone began to ring, still riding my bike I grabbed my phone from my front pocket. The caller ID read "Leeyum"

"Hello?" I answered. It's about 2 here, which means it's 11 there, since they're in Sweden.

"Hey sis, how you doin?" He asked.

"I'm good, and you?" I asked through spurts of breath. I'm not in bad shape but, riding and talking on the phone isn't all that easy.

"Yeh I'm well. What is it that you're doing?" He asked cautiously.

"Erm well, I'm riding my bike. Why?"

"You just sound weird is all." He laughed.

"Well thanks," I laughed back.

"But really Jess, how are you?" He asked seriously. Liam doesn't really seem to get that I will never be okay and so every time I talk to him he asks me about five times how I'm doing.

"Really Liam, I'm fine." I lie. "But, um, I'm at Stephen's house now so I gotta go. Talk to you later?" I said quickly, even though I wasn't quite there yet, but before he could pester me about my attitude some more.

"Are you sure you have to go? You don't even want to talk to Zayn?" He asked, and I could tell that he immediately wished he hadn't bright up Zayn.

"Yeah I really gotta go, I'll talk to you soon though." I assured.

"Sure, call me soon. Okay Jess?"

"I will Li. Bye, love you."

"Love you too Jess. Bye." He sounded a bit upset but he knows I don't like talking about that stuff.

***Liam's POV***

I'm getting worried about Jess, I know it's only been a month but she's still completely shut herself off from the world. It's a good sign that she's going to her boyfriends house, as far as I know she had barely seen him or done anything with anyone in a long time. I just hope he can get through to her. Admittedly, I didn't like that guy at first, and I was hoping that when we sent Zayn to be the one to go to the funeral that she would choose to be with him instead. But I digress, at least she has someone there for her.

***Jessyka's POV***

I'm finally almost to Stephen's house, I'm going to rethink this whole "bike" thing- I'm exhausted. I can't stop thinking about Zayn now that Liam had brought him up. The last time I had seen or talked to him was a few weeks ago...

***Flashback***

It was as if the clouds knew today was a dark day. Light gray clouds covered every inch of the sky, completely covering the sun. We were gathered together outside in the local cemetery yard. I should be crying and I should be holding tight to my mom, but I'm not. Looking around at the crowd dressed in black it intrigues me to see how different everyone handles grief. Some people cry loudly and uncontrollably. Other cry silently and make no eye contact. There's the people who are noticeably in pain but don't cry at all and mingle quietly with those around them. Then there are the people who don't cry at all but make no effort to talk to anyone else. I guess I fit into that last category, but I can't decide if it's acceptable that I'm not crying or if that just makes me a horrible person. Whilst waiting for guests to arrive my eyes scanned the horizon. Outside of the funeral-goers headstones of all shapes and sizes were scattered amongst the the green grassy fields. Although the sky was dark you could clearly see how green and lively the grass was. Ironic. One thing in particular caught my eye though. Away from the commotion, leaning against a tall oak tree stood a familiar boy clad in a fitted black tux. I let out a breath that I didn't even know I was holding in and walked towards him. He saw me coming and his lips formed the curve of a small smirk. Once I got over to him he wrapped his arms and my waist. Neither of us said a word- but then again we didn't need to- we just hugged.

Throughout the service Zayn stayed by my side. Not many words were exchanged but I appreciated the silence. The pastor was finishing up his kind words that meant a lot but had yet to make me cry. The past thing he said-however- was a direct quote from my dad.

"If you were to have asked Johnathan if he was afraid of death he would've given you a look that said 'are you crazy?!'" A few chuckles broke through the crowd, "But then, in his most sincere voice he'd tell you, 'There comes a day when you realize turning the page is the best feeling in the world, because you realize there's so much more to the book than the page you were stuck on.' Many people may interpret that in whichever way they please. But to me that means that he was not afraid to die. He was ready to go into Gods kingdom. From there he can watch over his children, his wife, his friends and loved ones and know they're all safe. From there he will see and know all the things he's ever dreamed of seeing or knowing. And from there he will be with our Almighty Father in the Heavenly Kingdom." That's when the tears began to fall. That was the same thing my father told me just minutes before he passed. I could tell in the way Zayn's hand tensed up that it meant something to him to- although I didn't know what.

*End of Flashback*

After the funeral Zayn only had a few hours before his flight. He had left the tour to be able to be there with me. So, one audience had to go to the One Direction concert when Zayn wasn't there. And that made me feel awful. But it meant a lot that he came. But then again, it makes me feel awful because I haven't made an attempt to talk to him since he left. I'll text him later...

I had just arrived to Stephens house and to my surprise the door was unlocked. Usually he tells me to just come in, so I did. Walking up the stairs I noticed none of his family was home, which was weird for his house. I got up to his room but as my hand touched the doorknob I froze. Inside his room I heard a girl giggling and making quiet sounds that sounded like--

****A/N

So, the past few chapters have had more of an emotional affect on me than I thought they would. But, that being said I'm done with the depressing chapters for awhile lol. They had to happen though, unfortunately.

VOTE. COMMENT. FAN.

-Tabitha xx