CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1

"Haleee!" My father half grunts half yells from the kitchen. Not wanting to upset him by defying him, I get up from the couch and walk to the kitchen. He's standing by the fridge in only his tidy whities, roaming it while losing his balance over and over.

"Where the fffffück is my beer?! Huh?!" He sputters, barely able to look straight at me. Although he's never hurt me physically, he always freaks me out when he's this drunk.

"I don't know. You've probably drunk them up" I say, shrugging. I look at the pictures on the fridge door. There's one with me, dad and mom from a few years ago. We look happy, all smiles and arms around each other. Right before she left. She said she couldn't take the drinking any longer, and just left me with him. With the bad back he's having, he claims he can't work, so I've been the provider in this "family". Up until a week ago, when I was fired from the diner for cussing out a customer. In my defense, he was trying to grab me.

"Are you havin' an attitude?" He snarls venomously, pointing a thick finger at me.

"N-no dad. I-I can go and get some new ones, yeah?" Of course I'm not going to buy him any beer. I'll just drive around for an hour or so until he passes out.

"Fffine. If you can't fffind any don't bother coming back" He mutters, slamming the door to the fridge. Quickly, I turn around, collecting my phone and my denim jacket and putting on my boots before practically bolting out the front door. It's a cool September night, almost too cool to be only in a tank top and a waist pleated skirt - apart from the jacket and boots, of course.

I hop into my rusty old truck and put the keys in the ignition, starting the old thing with a little shake and rattle. I pull out on the main road, driving into Boise. Suddenly my phone goes off, and as I look on the screen my heart nearly beats out of my chest. Oh no, not him again.

"What do you want, Anthony?" I growl into the receiver. Why can't he just leave me alone?

"Harley... I want you back" Anthony tells me for the hundredth time.

"I saw you walking by outside my house yesterday. You have to stop, got it? I still have that restraining order on you" I might sound a bit harsh, but with all right. I broke up with him six months ago. Why, you ask? Because he used to beat me, and stalk me, and practically lock me up whenever he felt like it. So naturally, I left.

"Come on, babycakes, I'll treat you right this time"

"There's no way I'm going back to you, so just stop it! Leave me the fück alone!"

"I will never leave you alone. You and I, we're meant for each other. If you can't accept that then maybe I'll just have to come and get you by force" The way he says it sends chills down my spine.

"You're sick"

"I'm sick for you"

"No, you need to see a shrink"

"I already have. Bitch said I needed to let you go. Like that's possible. I'll fücking kill you before someone else gets to touch you"

"How do you expect me to take you back when you say stuff like that?"

"Because, like I said, if I can't have you, no one can" He drawls, and I can see his sadistic grin in front of me. Quickly, I hang up and throw the phone onto the passenger seat with a loud thud. I can almost feel my heart beating out of my ribcage as I start shaking like a scared rabbit. He'll do it. I know he will.

He's got no limits. I don't know how many times I've contacted the police about him breaching the restraining order. Guess what they do? Not a jack shit. They take him in for questioning but always lets him go. He's smart. And manipulative. Just like a psychopath.