CHAPTER 5

CHAPTER 5

"Top of the morning to you!" I chirp as I walk towards my truck, seeing Micah lounging next to it on his bike. Although he's wearing sunglasses, I can see the strained features in his face as he cringes away from the sun, probably the result of last night's party.

"Stop yelling" He groans, rubbing his temples.

"It's that bad, huh?" I chickle, opening the door to my truck and climb in.

"It's worse than bad" He whines.

"Are you sure you should be riding when you're feeling that bad?"

"Well, I got here, didn't I?" He chuckles half-commitedly, kicking at a twig on the ground.

"Get in"

"What?" Althought I can't see his eyes, I can swear they lit up.

"Get in. You just follow me anyway so why not go with me instead if you're feeling like sh*t?"

He looks at me for a while, contemplating my offer, the shrugs.

"Allright, but I get to DJ" He says as he rounds my car, yanking the door open and climb in in an awkward, not so graceful way.

"No way, biker boy. It'll be Backstreet boys all the way to the clubhouse or I'm dropping you off"

"Ha ha, very funny" He snorts, starting to scroll through the radio stations as I pull out onto the main road, only stopping when Black Sabbath starts blasting through the speakers.

"Why'd you leave so early last night? You missed all the fun" He says, fumbling with a pocket knife.

"Well, you know... I was tired" I lie, remembering the scene that made me practically bolt out for fresh air. It's ridiculous, really. Jace is a free man, he can do whatever he wants, we're not dating. He was specific about what he wanted with me. That you will be around for me to fück, as he'd put it. Yet, my stupid heart skips a beat when I think about him, and I hate myself for it.

"Yeah, well, too bad. The place went crazy!"

"Huh" I huff, "Hey, who's that girl who was with Jace last night?" Oh god, did I come off too desperate?

Micah looks at me warily before succumbing to his need to gossip.

"She's Madelyn. She and Jace have been on and off for like a year or something"

"Oh..." A year or something

"It's a really fúcked up relationship. She throws herself at him, then after a while starts playing hard to get, which makes Jace tire, then she's back throwing herself at him. It's a neverending circle"

"Why does he even take her back, then?"

"Well, because she's hot, obviously. And apparently they're fücking like animals, so..."

"What? How do you know that?" I ask, voice slowly going from desperate to hysterical.

"I've heard them" He chuckles, but quickly stops as he notices the stern look on my face.

"Harley..." He suddenly sighs with an accusing stare.

"What?"

"Don't tell me you like him?"

"Who?"

"Jace, of course. I know you've been fooling around and all but... To him it's just sex"

"Did he tell you that?" God, I'm starting to sound crazy.

"No. But I know him. Just... be careful, I don't want you to get hurt" He murmurs. And just like that, we spend the rest of the ride in silence.