Death's Door

Cindy

He was doing so well until late this morning. He started getting chills, even though it was hot. It wasn't until later that I realized he was going into shock. I tried giving him medicine, but it didn't seem to work. He had just died when Silver got back with the others. Mr. and Mrs. Crawford were crying in the tent.

"Are they still in there?" He asked.

"Yeah." I said, tears welling up in my eyes. "It's so horrible."

"Get them out. He could turn at any moment."

"You're right." I said and wiped my eyes. I walked in and tried to get them to leave. When they did, Silver walked in and picked him up. A crowd had gathered around the tent. It had to be everyone. Silver stepped out for a moment, and the crowd opened up to the door. He walked through, carrying Benny in his arms. I could see him shed a small tear, but only I noticed. Marcus took his hat off in respect. The runners followed him out the door to the edge. He set Benny down against a tree. Walking backwards, he pulled something out of his pocket... a gun? Where did he get that?

He pointed it at Benny and said, "Everyone, look away."

I did.

*BLAM* I winced and couldn't stop the tears.

"Don't look yet." He said. His voice cracked. I heard something brush the leaves and fade. I looked back, and they were gone. Mrs. Crawford was bawling by now. Blood was pooled on the ground where he say. I couldn't take it... I just...

I ran.

"Cindy, wait!" Richard shouted, but it didn't stop me. I ran until I couldn't hear their voices anymore. I ran until I couldn't hear Mrs. Crawford's crying. I ran so far I couldn't even hear anything. I just had to get away. This was all my fault. I let another person die. I had to get away, at least for a while. I ran past a group of Infected, not even caring when they turned my direction. I passed even more, even bumping into one and knocking it down. I didn't care.

I wasn't running long when my legs finally gave out, and I started sobbing on the ground. I didn't care. I was crying like a baby, and I didn't care. I let someone die. Again. If I wanted to have my own child, why did it have to be so dangerous? Why did we have to live like this? I don't want my children to live in this world. It's too horrible. I just stayed there. And I didn't move.

Until I heard the moans.

"Oh, God..."

~~~

Silver

"Cindy! Cindy!" I shouted out, but with no response. The others had told me she ran into the woods. She got really far. I didn't realize how she really felt after this. Stupid. I was an idiot. I knew she hated what had happened to those people before. I should've been there. I should've let someone else bury him. Stupid stupid stupid!

"Cindy! Answer me!" I shouted. An Infected walked out from behind a tree. I stabbed it and continued on. "Cindy!"

I finally heard a faint "Help!"

"Cindy, where are you?" I shouted back.

"Help! Help me!" The voice was clearer now. It was definitely Cindy.

And I could hear the moans.

"Oh, no..." I said and bolted through the foliage. I could hear her getting closer and closer, and so were the moans. I hoped I wasn't too late. I pushed branches out of the way and struggled through vines. Suddenly, I tripped on a root and pulled on my foot.

"Ah!" I shouted and tumbled to the ground into a small crevice. I grabbed my ankle. It was screaming in pain and burned like fire.

"Help!"