Prologue.

Shadow at the water's edge

Prologue: Shipwreck.

England: 1845.

The large clipper slowly makes its way around Graveyard Cove, the sailors glancing nervously at the dark water, thinking of all the stories they'd heard of ships going down without warning, the only trace that they had ever existed being whatever wreckage drifted ashore, and the wails of the dead crew's spirits.

"Fifty fathoms!" The call floated eerily across the deck, letting the crew know they were still in deep enough water. But it did little to boost their courage, they were thinking of all the spirits still haunting these waters, waiting for more souls to join their fate.

"Will you come down to the water..." The faint, beautiful voice echoed over the water, singing softly, barely loud enough to hear. The crew shifted uncomfortably, glancing at the door to the captain's cabin, wondering if he would come out.

"Will you come down to the sea? For I am a lonely soul, come keep me company..." They could barely hear the soft musical voice, but the tune was haunting, and it sent shivers up every one of the crew's spine.

"Join me in the ocean deep, stay here in eternal sleep..."

One of the men couldn't take it any longer and he let out a sob. "It's the spirits!"

All heads turned to the captain's cabin as the door slammed open, revealing the captain standing in the doorway with a fierce expression. "What is going on out here?" His voice was low, and dangerous.

The first mate came up to him and spoke in a low voice. "The crew sir, they're convinced they can hear the spirits of the shipwrecked calling out to them."

The captain didn't comment on this, instead stalking out on deck and letting his eyes sweep the crew. "Listen up all of you! There are no spirits! The shipwrecked have all gone down to Davy Jones locker, and there they'll stay! Now get yourselves together and get us out of this cove!"

The men all mumbled obediently and began working once again. The captain spun on his heel and shut the cabin door behind him.

"Look at me, I'm a pretty little miss, join me in the sea and I'll give you a kiss." The tune had changed, now it was a lighthearted love song. Several of the crew members glanced into the dark water, curious to see what or who was singing.

"You've never seen beauty if you haven't seen me, I'm the pretty little maiden that lives in the sea."

There was a startled shout as one of the men pointed in the water, hurriedly signing a cross as he said breathlessly. "Lord help us."

This brought most of the crew to the side of the ship, they looked down into the water and gasped, some signing crosses, others knocking on the ship's rail.

"I'm a lonely little girl who needs some company, won't you join me down here for some fun in the sea?" The source of the voice was an unearthly beautiful young woman, long blonde hair framed her pale, flawlessly smooth face. Large blue eyes sparkled in the moonlight as she showed her perfect teeth in a smile. She reached one pale, slender arm out of the water and beckoned for the crew.

"I'll show you what real joy can be, come a little closer down into the sea."

The captain sat in his cabin, listening to the soft voice, and the splashes as his crew leapt into the water. He knew what was happening, he had seen it before. He knew that all of his crew would be dead in minutes, he knew he had to act quickly if he was going to secure the safety of this cove.

He stood up, blocking out the sounds of his crew's screams, trying not to imagine what the creatures were doing to the men. He walked below deck and checked all the gunpowder, made sure all the items were properly set, and then lit the fuse. As the fire slowly crawled along the black line, he walked up on deck, and looked over into the water.

He could see red swirling among the shredded clothes, and he saw the creatures swimming around the remains, finishing the last of the crew off.

One looked up at him, and he could clearly see the fangs and black eyes, the ash grey skin and long black claws protruding from the fingertips.

The minute the creatures saw him, they ducked under the water, and a moment later unearthly beautiful woman appeared, beckoning enticingly with their hands, moving seductively in the water, letting him catch glimpses of their bare torsos.

"Come join us for a swim." They called in light musical voices, their hair and eyes ranging different colors, all with perfectly curved bodies, and all breathtakingly attractive.

The captain smiled grimly down at them, and shook his head. "I know what you are! I know what you do!"

They hissed, and the dark creatures reappeared, they left deep marks in the ships planks as they attempted to claw their way out of the water.

"You're never going to kill again!" He shouted with a laugh as the gunpowder was ignited, and the ship exploded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! so this is the prologue...as you know, but the rest of the story is going to be modern day, so if you aren't interested in reading a eighteenth century novel don't worry!

Anyway, please tell me what you think! I adore comments so leave one pleeeeaaaase! I will love you all forever and ever! :)