Chapter II

DANNY

I sit up with Mel for about an hour before she dozes off. She doesn't stay up for very long amounts of time, so that's why I hate it when she lets me sleep while she's awake. But I know she lies about it often, even when she tells me she just woke up.

Dad told m e that's one of the side-effects of the chemotherapy; the sleepiness. He also said her hair might fall out. I can't picture her without her soft brown hair, but I'm sure she'll still be just as beautiful.

"Hey Danny," I hear from the doorway as I'm flipping through the channels on the TV we share. I look up to see Marissa, Mel's older sister, standing there, looking nearly an exact replica of Mel.

"Hey Marrisa, you just missed her. She was just up a second ago," I frown, muting the TV.

"Oh, it's fine. I'm sure she's tired. I just brought over her magazines and more 'get well' cards from random people I have no idea who they are," Marissa explains, frowning at the pile of cards in her hands before dropping them on Mel's bed-side table.

Mel is extremely close with her sister; they're best friends. It makes me even more jealous seeing how I'm an only child. But Mel deserves a great sister like Marissa. She doesn't really have any other close family members.

Mel's father passed away when she was pretty young. I know Mel doesn't really like talking about him, it makes her upset. They were really close. And Eleanor - Mel's mother - is another story...

Eleanor was always pretty distant with Mel. Even when we first started dating, she was never very involved. She was always working and she never went to anything of Mel's. But once Mel got sick, Eleanor basically dropped out of Mel's life completely. It doesn't make sense to me, but I don't want to upset Mel by bringing it up.

"Thanks Marissa, she'll appreciate that," I smile at the taller and older version of Mel.

"It's no bother at all," Marissa insists, shaking her head. She takes a seat on the leather chair beside Mel's bed. It's basically been designated 'Marrisa's spot'. That's always where you'll find her when she's visiting.

As we sit in silence, we both watch Mel sleeping soundlessly. Her chest moves quickly with her shallow breaths. Dad also warned me that she might lose weight. I guess I hadn't really noticed until now how her cheeks appear more sunk-in and she does appear even thinner than she was before.

Whenever I notice changes like this, my gut starts to twist up with worry. No matter how hard I try to assure myself that she's fine, my stomach refuses to believe me. Instead it likes to torture me with a sick feeling.

It's just lovely...

"How've you and John been doing?" Marissa pulls me from my little 'worry-fest'. I look up and notice her watching me with worry in her eyes. I shift uncomfortably beneath her gaze. I'm not used to being the one worried about.

"We're fine. Hoping and praying that chemo goes well again," I croak out, my voice becoming scratchy and hoarse - something that happens when I'm worried.

"Then that makes three of us," She flashes me a sad smile that I know she intended to be a reassuring one.

My eyes return to Mel's sleeping face. I never know what to say in serious situations. Mel's the one who thinks quickly on her feet and usually saves me from sticking my foot in my mouth. She always knows what to say.

Luckily I'm saved by Dad walking in and breaking the silence.

"Hey there, Marissa, how's it going?" He greets her with a cheerful smile.