Chapter Eight Part 9

Paige looked at her aunt and gently tried to remove her. "Jessie, this isn't Webster..."

"It is Webster! I'd know my Webster anywhere!" She stated.

Paige bit onto her bottom lip and looked at Blake. His brows were knitted in a frown as he placed his hands on Jessie and assisted her to an armchair and gently sat her down.

"Jessie, this is Blake."

"It's Webster!" Jessie said getting agitated.

"But..."

Blake looked at Paige and shook his head, indicating for her to stop. He perched himself on the arm of the sofa next to Jessie. Paige stared at his contemplative expression, was he cooking up another plan, she wondered suspiciously.

Without warning Blake got to his feet. "Jessie, I have to go now, but I'll come back..."

"No! You promised me last time too, you never came back. I've been waiting..."

Blake bent down and took hold of her hands and gave them a gentle squeeze. "I'll come back, I promise." He murmured before straightening up and looking at Paige. "Paige see me to the door." He ordered, making her heckles rise.

"You promised to come back." Reminded Jessie just as Paige and Blake were about to leave.

"I did." He assured her warmly. "See you later, Jessie." He said then walked out followed by Paige.

"How come you're going all of a sudden, earlier you couldn't wait to get your feet under the table." Paige said, caustically.

He gave her a strange look which made her breath hitch. "I thought you couldn't wait to get me out of your house?" He murmured, his eyes raking over her face.

"You're right, I can't. Is there any particular reason for calling me out here?" She demanded, fighting to remain aloof.

"I need your car keys if I'm to have your car dropped off." He reminded her.

Paige hesitated then went over to the little table near the coat rack and picked up a spare set of car keys. "Here." She muttered dropping them into the palm of his outstretched hand.

His long fingers curled around them. "Thank you." He murmured without taking his eyes off her. "Is Webster the man you were telling me about, the one your aunt was supposed to marry?" He asked suddenly.

"Yes, why?" What was he up to?

"Do you know his sir name?" He pressed.

"Why the sudden interest?"

"Do you?" He repeated, his mouth drawing into a tight displeased line at her obstinacy.

"No, I don't and why did you go and make empty promises to my aunt? You had no right telling her you were coming back to see her." She scowled.

"Blake! Where are you going?" Georgia exclaimed, coming out into the hall with a tray of tea and biscuits.

"Sorry Georgia, there's something I need to do."

"Can't it wait?" She asked disappointedly.

"I'm afraid not."

"Paige, you've been rude to our guest haven't you?" Her sister said accusingly.

"No Georgia, under the circumstances, Paige has been very gracious." He murmured almost to himself, his eyes fixed on Paige.

Georgia looked from one to the other. "I'll just take this back into the kitchen then." She said rushing away.